New on Broader View: January 2016
- BDS: A Threat To Us All, Not Just Israel by Adam Milstein, Huffington Post, January 1
- Gaza: How to Spot a Fake Siege by Evelyn Gordon, Commentary, January 25
- Law & Lawfare: Double Standards in the Territories by Alan Baker, JCPA, January 21
- Palestinians: Is Abbas Losing Control? by Khaled Abu Toameh, January 26
- Public Diplomacy: Tell Better Stories by Alexandra Markus, Algemeiner, January 3
- Terrorism: Man’s Search for Meaning by Stuart Chesner, Times of Israel, January 26
More at American Jews
, Colleges & Universities
, Israeli People & Politics
, Media & Manipulation
, Liberals & Israel
- Israeli Arab kills 2 at Tel Aviv pub; shooter killed after week-long manhunt
- Dafna Meir (39), nurse and mother of six, stabbed to death in her home, allegedly by Palestinian teen motivated by Palestinian TV incitement; Shlomit Krigman (23) killed in separate stabbing attack
- U.S. ambassador to Israel, Dan Shapiro, accuses Israel of having a “double legal standard” in the West Bank; after outcry, he apologizes for the timing of his remarks.
- U.S., UK spied on Israeli Air Force
- Historians’ academic association, New York and Florida senates, a Spanish court, Univ. of Waterloo students, and the World Medical Association reject Israel boycott; Methodist Church divests from 5 Israeli banks.
- Israel designates as “state land” large tract near Jericho
- Israel strengthens ties with China, India, Hong Kong, Colombia, Indonesia, Cyprus, Greece, Albania, Ukraine, Islamic Republic of Gambia, and potentially even Sudan
- Israeli venture capital firms raised over $1 billion in 2015; 104 companies were acquired or went public, returning over $9B to the firms and their investors
- Israelis win international awards and honors for iPhone apps, consumer electronics, recipes, “Most Powerful Countries,” “Best Hotels” and “Best Cities of the World.”
- Recent visitors to Israel include India’s foreign minister, Ukrainian president, Albanian prime minister, 8 U.S. Senators and 4 Representatives, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense, Texas governor, 200 emergency-medicine professionals, thousands of cyber experts, international chamber music ensembles, food bloggers, and Muslim-American “viral Zionist” Farhana Rahman.
(Lots more at http://www.BroaderView.org/News)