Issued: March 8, 2019
Water tower blue plaque commemorates campaigning doctor
PICTURES: A selection of pictures for media use can be downloaded HERE
The efforts of an Epping doctor who campaigned for better sanitation in the town and whose work was rewarded with the building of the Water Tower has been recognised with a blue plaque.
The Water Tower, built in 1872, marks the campaign organised by Dr Joseph Clegg to bring clean water and drainage to Epping during the Victorian era.
Dr Clegg, who died in 1901 having practiced in the town for more than 30 years, was a GP in Epping when death tolls from typhoid and cholera reached crisis point in 1853.
After campaigning for more than 20 years to the Home Office for fresh water and sanitation, he was granted the Water Tower.
Dr Clegg also fought to save the forest and was president of the Epping Association for the Prosecution of Felons.
He was a surgeon to the benefit societies in the town and took a great interest in all local affairs, especially the water supply and sanitary matters. His campaign to improve sanitation across the area helped save countless lives.
Dr Clegg was the author of contributions to the British Medical Journal and of a pamphlet on Local, County and National Government which was published in 1887.
The plaque was officially unveiled today.