Damned If I Do, Damned If I Don't...
Amen, brothas & sistas re our daily doings on planet Earth, star-date May 2020. Stay in, or go out? Protect others, or participate in activities, promote the economy and mental well-being? Short term benefits, or long term progress?
And what about when you are faced with such decisions in the golf park? Pros vs. Cons. Risks vs. Rewards. Choices and decisions that must be made. Do you............................................ hesitate?
I understand, and I have a plan for you - as do a few others quoted below - along with links to their authored works (such a wonderful moment in time to shelter in place and curl up with a good read..).
First, however, you need some musical motivation, don't you? Click above, close your eyes, open your ears, and enjoy this fab offering from The Alan Parsons Project.
“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.”
- - Hunter S. Thompson from The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman
CS Plan: Hemming and hawing about what club to hit to the point of brain warp (my man Hunter S. knew something about that as well..)? You're wasting precious energy, friends, so how best to choose? A threesome of 'tips' from Track Town USA Downs:
1. When your first arrived at the shot, what club did you want/feel like pulling? BIN-GO.
2. What is your gut, your intuition, that oh-so subtle, soft and wise voice inside your head saying?
3. If you miss-hit the shot (and you probably will to some extent, 'cause you're human), where will it leave you for the next?
“No matter how tough it gets at times, you always have a choice. What’s in your control? Do you hold the key to your own cage?”
- - Erin Loechner from Chasing Slow
CS Plan: Indeed, fellow wanderers of the links - what is in your control - and what is not? Time to differentiate so as once again be able to channel your precious life energy (awareness, focus and concentration) into what you are in charge of - and put an end to the incessant fretting, worrying and anguishing of all that is 'beyond your grasp.'
POP QUIZ time, kids :). Multiple choice.
In a round of golf, what's in your control?
A. Your tee time, playing partners, and weather conditions.
B. Your pre-shot, and post-shot processes.
C. Where your ball eventually ends up after each and every stroke.
D. Your planning, programming, and intention prior to a shot.
E. Nothing at all - I just "hit it and hope."
I'll look forward to seeing responses - but you don't really need CS' feedback here, do you now? Unless you've misplaced, or never owned, the key to your own cage. Perhaps the pandemic we are bathing in is presenting an golden opportunity to find that key...
"In a few hundred years, when the history of our time will be written from a long-term perspective, it is likely that the most important event historians will see is not technology, not the Internet, not e-commerce. It is an unprecedented change in the human condition. For the first time—literally—substantial and rapidly growing numbers of people have choices. For the first time, they will have to manage themselves. And society is totally unprepared for it."
- - Peter Drucker from - YOU CHOOSE which of his offerings to peruse - ain't that cool?
CS Plan: You, on the golf course? Able to manage yourself? Your thoughts & emotions? Your reactions and responses to the inevitable mayhem that will arise in a round of golf? What about right now in this time of "Damned If I Do, Damned If I don't?"
I wonder, like society according to Mr. Drucker, are you prepared for it? Consider the following elixirs (think: vaccine for a virus...) alive and well within you:
- Gratitude. Try on that power feeling for size in times of need. Observe your aura when donning the gratitude cloak. Oh, don't believe in such pixie dustings? Check out an fMRI then, if you're so inclined.
- Your selves. Yes, that's right - plural. Kinda hard to 'manage yourself' if you don't even know thyself, or thyselves. On the golf course, this might include your tendencies, typical miss-hits, or your favorite mental and/or swing mistakes. Please don't ignore them or pretend like they don't exist; rather, acknowledge their presence and get to know them better.
You (and I, and all the other humans living through these challenging moments) are wonderfully complex creatures. Like a puzzle, you have many pieces that are all vital to 'you being you (because remember: everyone else is taken..).' All those beautiful pieces - subpersonalities, parts of self, character traits, whatever you wish to call them - are there to serve you in times of need - on and off the golf course.
Discover and identify them. Then, ask them to come out and play - or go sit in the corner - depending on 'who' is needed at any particular time.
- Your large prefrontal cortex. Yep fellow homo sapien, unlike our bonobo and chimpanzee cousins, that part of your brain is larger, and highly developed. So what, you query? So it allows you to choose what you wish to pay attention to - as opposed to being distracted by whatever entity may be whizzing by your mind, eyesight or physical body at any given moment.
DONATING = CARING
Ah - something new, fresh, and curious in the CS missives...
Nearly every week since late in the year of 2014, I’ve devoted a tremendous amount of time, energy, resources, thought and care into the “CS Newsletter” offerings, which remain free. While many in my vocation have chosen other mediums to communicate (and hopefully help golfers, and humans, alike), I continue to opt for the written word, blending pieces of music, pertinent videos and articles – all with the intention of authentically guiding my fellow wanderers of the links, and life’s daily sidewalks, on fruitful paths.
If you find any solace or motivation from my ongoing labor or love - or if on occasion a message has managed to put a smile on your face, a tear in your eye, inspirited you take a step back and reconsider all for a moment - or even irked you into positive action - please do consider supporting it with a donation. Should you already donate, I THANK YOU.
Click on a soon-to-be reading and writing CS, just north, to contribute.
Choices abound for help with your golf, fo shu. Why choose me? 47 years as a student and player of this great game (hence I can relate to your joys, and struggles). Three decades as a full-time teacher, coach and guide. An integrated approach to helping you play better (there are many pieces to your golf puzzle, as well), and enjoy the overall experience more.
Contact me for a consultation; click on the logos just above for further specifics.
Remote and in-person coaching options. The development of an optimal practice regime for you, your needs, and your schedule. Ideas and referrals in the equipment domain - those sticks in your bag, and your physical body. Science and experienced-based help in achieving higher mental acuity on the course. A competent, comprehensive and on-going loop for learning, regardless of where you are on the planet.
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
-- Neil Peart