Welcome to the January 2015 Newsletter from the Policy Centre for African Peoples
The Policy Centre for African Peoples (PCAP) is a platform for African visions. We promote ideas, research, and outstanding achievements by Africans and key stakeholders. www.policycap.org
1. Je Suis Africa: Hard-Hitting Article on Boko Haram by Sylvie Aboa-Bradwell, Director of PCAP, Published on AllAfrica.com
The late Professor Wangari Maathai once said that the wonderful thing about Africans, and their biggest strength, is that they never give up; they have had countless historical and practical reasons for succumbing to despair, but they never do. So as the terrorist group Boko Haram slaughter, kidnaps and enslaves people in m native Cameroon and, more devastatingly, Nigeria, I refuse to give up hope.
Many observer have commented on the worldwide publicity and outpouring of support that followed the recent terrorist attacks on Paris, as opposed to the muted response to Boko Haram's massacre of the inhabitants of Baga, a town in north-east Nigeria. But this victimhood competition misses the point... Read the Full Article on PCAP's Website or on AllAfrica
2. Special Series: Women in Foreign Policy Debate -11th February 2015, House of Commons, London, 7pm-8.30pm
Francis Fukuyama once declared ‘A truly matriarchal world (…) would be less prone to conflict and more conciliatory and cooperative than the one we inhabit now’. This special 2030 Series event organised by Young Professionals in Foreign Policy will discuss why women still represent a minority in leading foreign policy positions, which barriers and prejudices they face, and what can be done.
The following distinguished panel will be haring some personal experiences and views:
Julie Chappell OBE, Partner at Hawthorn London, former Ambassador to Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador
Sylvie Aboa-Bradwell, Founder and Executive Director of the Policy Centre for African Peoples
Hilary Stauffer, International Lawyer and Visiting Fellow at Centre for the Study of Human Rights, LSE
3. Aspire GCSE Boot Camps
Aspire GCSE Boot Camp
Aspire Boot Camps were set up to plug the excellence gap in service provision able to meet the needs of those wishing to either offer, or gain access to high quality education.
Click here for the full GCSE bootcamp flyer.
Boot camps start 24th Jan, 7th March or 7th April.
For more information contact Coreplan
Tel: 0207 250 8058
4. Scholarship and Other Opportunities
6. PCAP's Newsletter and Mailing List
You are receiving this e-mail either because you have subscribe to our newsletter on our website, or because you recently had contact with a member of our team, who thought you would be interested in our work.
1. Ideas for Action: An international youth competition on Financial Management by the World Bank Group. This competition is for people between the ages of 18 - 35. For further details and to apply please follow the link below. Closing date: 31 January 2015
2. The Hague University is granting 9 scholarships for its Master Degree Program. For further details and to apply please follow the link below. Closing date: 1 April 2015
We are utterly committed to respecting your privacy. We understand that most of you are extremely busy, and normally send out our newsletter only once a month. If you are no longer interested in our updates, please send an e-mail advising us to remove you from our mailing list, or simply click on the Unsubscribe link below.