Copy
Last chance!!
View in your browser
Click button to sign petition
Click Here
EEWG NEWSLETTER
September 2014

Dear Friends

SWAN WHARF UPDATE
 
A second letter of objection has been sent to the LLDC on behalf of EEWG, which demonstrates that the locally-listed multi-storey stable block at Swan Wharf is a better building than the Grade II-listed multi-storey stable block at Kingsland Basin in Hackney. 
 
An 'animation' has also been prepared for you to see the 3-storey former stable block morphing into a new, wider 6 storey building.  Also included in this newsletter are two elevations from the applicant's design and access statement.
 

The proposed DACE ROAD ELEVATION shows how the retained three-storey wall on Dace Road would look in relation to the upper three storeys of the new 6-storey building.  And the proposed RIVER LEA ELEVATION shows the new 4-storey building more or less filling the yard at Swan Wharf and dominating the 1904 engineering workshop and forge to the south. 
 
As well as the heritage issues, the Air Quality Assessment by MLM (see online application) states that dust from the proposed demolition and construction at Swan Wharf will pose "high risks to human health" for everyone in the surrounding area for a period of up to three years.
 
There are now just a few days left to the deadline for comments, etc., on Friday 12 September: the online petition will probably be sent in at 4pm, so please (if you haven't already done so) do your best to sign and encourage others to sign.  At present there are over 350 signatures, which is good, but we really need another two hundred for the LLDC development sub-committee to refuse the application.
 
If we can't persuade the committee and this appalling proposal is allowed, it will set a precedent for the effective demolition and replacement of all the other locally-listed buildings in the Fish Island and White Post Lane Conservation Area (and the Hackney Wick Conservation Area).
 
EEWG and local residents are very grateful to the Victorian Society, which has kindly sent LLDC a letter objecting to the Swan Wharf application.
 
The letter will only count as one objection so please read the letter and online petition, and sign the petition as soon as possible and encourage others to do so.
 
Click here Download the 1st EEWG objection letter here Click here Download the 2nd EEWG objection letter here - or read it below

 

Go to petition and sign





 
  7 Shepton Houses
Welwyn Street
London E2 0JN

Tel. 0208 981 7361
Anthony Hollingsworth
Director of Planning Policy and Decisions
London Legacy Development Corporation
Level 10, 1 Stratford Place
Montfichet Road
London E20 1EJ

planningenquiries@londonlegacy.co.uk
 
 






 
08 September 2014

Dear Mr Hollingsworth

Planning Application No. 14/00262/FUL
Swan Wharf, E3 2NQ

Since writing the 26 August 2014 letter of objection, I have visited a Grade Il-listed c. 1900 multi-storey stable block at Kingsland Basin in Hackney; and compared it with the locally-listed 1906-12 multi-storey stable block at Swan Wharf. As you know, the latter was built for Henry Crane, a cartage contractor with earlier stables at a wharf on the west side of Kingsland Basin. A two-storey and a three-storey building survive, now 16 and 16A Hertford Road, Hackney N1 5QT. Both were listed in 2007 and have been fully repaired and minimally adapted for re-use. 

The two-storey building had stables on the ground floor and the three-storey building had stables on the first and second floors: accessed by external ramps of which only the ramp to the first floor survives. Both sides of the W-E three-storey building are seen from paved public areas with access from the walkway in Kingsland Basin and from Norway Yard in Hertford Road. Both public areas were former open wharves which have been retained by the developers, London and Quadrant. 

The three-storey building is described in the list description as a “multi-storey stable building”. However, unlike the 1906-12 stable block at Swan Wharf which had stables on all three floors with small ‘stable’ windows, it only has rows of small ‘stable’ windows in the first and second storeys. 

Although the list description states that the small windows are in “engineering brick surrounds”, their sides and arches are in the same brick as the long side walls. The second-storey window openings have one-ring arches and the first-storey window openings have three-ring arches. The 16 north-side window openings have narrow concrete and breeze sills, whilst the 15 south-side openings have bullnosed engineering brick sills. 

In contrast, the three rows of 20 north-side window openings on Dace Road (and the three rows of c. nine south-side window openings) are all in “engineering brick surrounds”: with undamaged bullnosed blue brick sills, sides and two-ring arches. 

The two-storey internal cast-iron and steel frame at 16A Hertford Road has two rows of four cast-iron columns (each with an integral pair of lugs which are bolted to the ends of the webs of adjacent steel beams). In contrast, the 1906-09 two-storey internal cast-iron and steel frame at Swan Wharf has two rows of five cast-iron columns (each with an integral pair of lugs which are bolted to the ends of the webs of adjacent steel beams; and are also connected by a semi-circular collar strap). This additional connection may well represent an improvement on the type at Kingsland Basin. And as stated in the 26 August 2014 letter, the internal frame at Swan Wharf is the only one of its particular type in the conservation area and probably the whole of London. 

Although the Grade II-listed c. 1900 multi-storey stable block at Kingsland Basin retains the lower flight of its original two-flight external ramp, in all other respects it has less special architectural and historic interest than the locally-listed 1906-12 multi-storey stable block at Swan Wharf. In addition to all the other reasons set out in the 26 August 2014 letter, this is clearly yet another good reason for fully retaining the 1906-12 multi-storey stable block at Swan Wharf. Especially as London only has about half a dozen or so surviving former multi-storey stable blocks; and the Swan Wharf example is possibly the last to have been built. Furthermore, its historic significance is enhanced by the fact that it is in the same conservation area as the site where petrol was first produced in this country. And, as you know, the introduction of the internal combustion engine led to the eventual demise of horse-drawn transport in London and elsewhere. 

In the 26 August 2014 letter, I stated that the mid-20th-century building at Swan Wharf was “probably built by 1948”. I have re-examined the OS plan evidence at the Tower Hamlets Local History Library and realised that my statement should have read “probably built by 1962”.

 

Yours sincerely, 

tom_ridge

Tom Ridge

For and on behalf of The East End Waterway Group

     
PETITION TEXT
 
TO THE LONDON LEGACY DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION

We the undersigned object to PA/14/00262/FUL as it would contravene LLDC and all other relevant policies (with regard to locally listed buildings in the conservation area) by:
  • demolishing the locally listed 1906-12 three-storey stable block at Swan Wharf (except for the two outer walls seen from Dace road) and erecting a much wider six-storey building on the site and a large part of the yard.
  • erecting a large four-storey building in the yard at Swan Wharf, directly alongside the 1904 engineering workshop and forge by the River Lea.
  • removing the wall crane from the cantilevered steel frame of the former barge loading canopy near Old Ford Locks, and inserting three balconies.

We are in favour of regeneration and additional workspace in the Fish Island & White Post Lane Conservation Area and in conformity with LLDC and all other relevant policies, we expect that:
  • the three-storey stable block is repaired and adapted for flexible workspace on all three floors.
  • the yard is “retained for creative and productive uses”.
  • the wall crane is retained and the integrity of the former barge loading canopy is not compromised by the insertion of balconies.
Go to petition and sign
  East End Waterway Group
PATRON JIM FITZPATRICK MP POPLAR AND LIMEHOUSE
Local residents, schools, community groups, amenity societies and businesses working with the Canal & River Trust, Tower Hamlets Council and others for the protection and beneficial use of the six mile waterway ‘ring’, its historic buildings, structures and habitats.
2014 EAST END WATERWAY GROUP, Some rights reserved.


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp