'The Enemy Within'
(And He is Us)
In light of the recent cyber attack at Target, I thought I’d let you know about the risks you or your employees are taking perhaps without full knowledge of the consequences.
First a few facts:
- 63% of companies let their employees use USB devices to transfer company information for use at home.
- 40% of employees use services such as DropBox or Box.com for cloud storage of personal and company information without their employer’s knowledge.
- “Phishing” for employee information on social media sites is now one of the most prevalent methods to gain information about a company before launching attacks.
- Most people do not use separate computers at home from their children or spouses when working on company information. They have no idea what programs, viruses, keystroke loggers etc. may have been downloaded by these family members.
- “Ransomware” attacks are on the rise. Once infected, your entire hard drive is encrypted remotely and you are asked to pay a ransom, usually within 72 hours to have them send a decrypt code. Without it, your drive is useless and CANNOT be decrypted by anyone, anywhere for any amount of money. Really. Average cost: $300
And the results:
- As of March 1, 2014, the cost to Target for the recent breach to their IT system now exceeds $200 million dollars.
- In 2013, various hackers, criminals and other bad actors stole over 800 million data records.
- The number of identity theft incidents and other scams are expected to rise and expand in nature affecting more and more people.
I could go on but you get the picture. We are our worst enemies in the fight against cyber attacks and thefts. Regardless of how large or small your company is, you probably have something somebody wants.
Next Month: What to do?
Watch your inbox next month for a great list of ways you can protect your data, your money and the business you’ve worked hard to build. Don’t want to wait until next month? Call or email me and I’ll send you the April Edition in advance!
- Check out our new "Exhaust Notes" video using the link under the picture of my 1967 Chevelle to the right. In this month's video, I explain the "hacker" world and the threats they present.
- To check out the rest of our videos including the "Profit Power" and Education OnSite video series, click on this link. Click Here for Videos In the coming months, look for more and exciting content that will surely help you improve your business in this very competitive industry.
- Please feel free to explore my website at www.topgunconsulting.com and see how we can help you improve your efficiency and get you on the road to higher profits and greater success!
I look forward to talking with you soon at 602-510-5998 or email me at email@example.com
Your Profit Driver