Sumner Bays Union Trust Christmas Newsletter 2011
Merry Christmas, happy Hanukkah and happy New Year everyone,
This year has been an extraordinary one for us. I have been impressed by the courage and resilience that people in Sumner and Redcliffs have shown. We have been shaken and we have lost people and places we loved. We have shown compassion to others while experiencing a level of stress that many of us will have never experienced before. Neighbourhoods and wider suburbs have rallied to support one another. Most of us have met neighbours we never knew before February 22. New friendships have formed and we have worked together.
On that note, I would like to thank a range of people for their contribution towards Sumner Bays Union Trust activities this year:
• The Sumner Bays Union Trust board – Denny Richardson, Bruce Reilly, Peter Croft, Malcolm Moore, Mary Moore, Vicki Hyde & Lydia MacKinnon and past members Win Collins, Bailey Peryman and Mary Baycroft.
• Cathy White, our Mini Music tutor extraordinaire.
• Fletcher Stanton, John Peterson, Reg Dalley, Diane, and the other volunteers who have run the Redcliffs Info Centre. Special thanks to Vicki and Peter Hyde for starting it.
• Lydia MacKinnon, Deborah Rhode, and Jim and Margaret Park for assisting with Coffee & Conversation during 2011.
• Lydia MacKinnon for volunteering her time and considerable skills as Computing @ Redcliffs tutor. Robbie Palmer for facilitating our Craft Group for six sessions and Win Collins for facilitating the Craft Group after that.
• Nikki Berry and Gary Easterbrook and team from The Muse Community Music Trust for Rockers of Ages Choir at Sumner.
• Paul Bolger for hosting and developing our website as well as his great support with Sumner Mini Music.
• Peter Croft, Ray Blampied and the Sumner Silver Band
• Paul Costley, Sam Knight, Mike Hawke and team who took the burden of the work at Community Carols from my shoulders, and Maree Parr and the Christchurch School of Music’s primary school Concert Band and Robyn Lean and the Sumner School Choir for performing at Community Carols.
• Diana Saxton, Shupayi Mpunga, Harry Roeloffs, and other Christchurch City Council staff for a variety of reasons.
• Bailey Peryman, Warren Smith, David Bryce, Malcolm and Mary Moore and team of volunteers for supporting the Redcliffs Community Garden and the Sumner Local Food Project.
• Reverends Neil Keesing, Paul Heard and Father Denis Nolan for their support of projects in Sumner and Redcliffs.
• Liz, Gary, Helen, Fiona, Vicki and all the Redcliffs Kindergarten children for sharing the premises with me and Sumner Bays Union Trust’s projects.
• Our funders: Christchurch City Council, Canterbury Community Trust, Todd Foundation, United Way New Zealand, Keith Laugesen Charitable Trust, COGS, Lotteries, and any I have forgotten.
• Ferrymead Lions Club for providing BBQ and gazebo for our Redcliffs Neighbourhood Week BBQ. SBS for providing the BBQ caravan for Community Carols.
• Sumner Supervalue for providing the bread for Community Carols; The Warehouse Eastgate for providing the serviettes.
• Anyone else I have accidentally omitted. There are many of you.
And in case you didn’t see this list last time –here are the key dates for 2012. Coffee & Conversation finishes this Thursday 22 December for 2011.
Key Dates for 2012
Monday 16 January Sumner Bays Union Trust office reopens
Thursday 19 January Coffee & Conversation resumes at 10.30 am, Redcliffs Craft Group resumes at 1 pm
Wednesday 1 February Computing @ Redcliffs will resume for first of two drop-in sessions, 10 am – 12 pm.
Thursday 2 February Mini Music resumes at Redcliffs, 9.30 am
Tuesday 7 February Mini Music resumes at Sumner, 9.30 am
Wednesday 8 February Computing @ Redcliffs second of two drop in sessions, 10 am – 12 pm
Wednesday 2 March – 2 May Computing @ Redcliffs 8 week course will run at the Redcliffs Union Church (subject to availability of premises)
Saturday 23 June 2012 Tentative date for inaugural Matariki (Maori New Year) Celebration
Thursday 13 December 2012 Tentative date for Sumner-Redcliffs Community Carols
You are on the Sumner Bays Union Trust Newsletter List
Unsubscribe <<Email Address>> from this list:
Our mailing address is:
Sumner Bays Union Trust
PO Box 17517
Christchurch, Canterbury 8840
Forward this email to a friend:
Update your profile: