Mt. Carmel Lutheran Church
1701 Fredericks Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
Office Hours: 8:30am - 3:00pm weekdays
Office will be closed Monday, May 28 for Memorial Day
What is the Guiding Coalition?
At the Town Hall Meeting on May 1st, the congregation heard about the guiding coalition as part of clarifying values/mission and creating new norms with the congregation. So what is the guiding coalition and who are the members of the guiding coalition.
Below is a list of responsibilities including those that are not the responsibilities of the guiding coalition. Note that the role is making recommendations to the pastors and council. Those recommendations will be developed with many activities and exercises supported by Turning West and will involve congregation members i.e. the goal is reaching out and involving all members. These activities and exercises are work as together we transition our congregation from constant conflict to cooperation.
AS THE GUIDING COALITION FOR WHAT ARE WE RESPONSIBLE?
- Guiding of the process of creating new norms, values clarification, development of a shared Vision and Mission, and developing a process to come to a point of decision and clarification regarding assumptions that are currently in conflict.
- Aligning people and resources to fulfill the objectives and tasks.
- To act as “listening posts” within the community.
- Act as advisors to the Church Council.
- Cheerleading: (of staff; stand behind them; set them up for success)
- Speaking the truth in love to staff and each other.
- Serve as a united front once a decision is made.
- Work collaboratively.
- Lead per the Church Council’s request.
AS THE GUIDING COALITION, WHAT ARE WE NOT ABOUT?
- Making Decisions. We do not carry any authority. All authority lies with the Church Council.
- Micro-management (The Pastors manage staff and programs).
- Personnel supervision (must avoid triangle affairs) (send personnel issues back to supervisor).
Who are the Members of the Guiding Coalition?
Currently the following people have made a commitment to do the hard work required. During the yearlong process, there will be opportunities to interact with members. Members are as follows: Shannon Babcock, Jessica Bell, Claudia Coughran, Suzanne Gorter, Kathy Gremel, Bob Grosse, John Keisler, Marge O’Neill, Sherri Parkinson, Marshall Phil, and Glen Priddy.
Please keep the guiding coalition members and Mt Carmel Lutheran Church in your prayers. I often use in my prayers the ending of a prayer by Dietrick Bonheoffer who in the midst of the horrors of the war ended his prayer with a sense of hope. “By gracious powers so faithfully protected, so quietly so wonderfully near, we live each day in hope, with you beside us, and go with you through every coming year.”
Kathy Gremel, Coordinator of Guiding Coalition
Pastors' Contact Info:
Office Hours: Tuesdays (11am-1pm) and Thursdays (12:30-3:00pm)