From everyone here at ASDC - Central, Lest we Forget
Athlete of the Month
The Alberta Sport Development Centre – Central is pleased to announce that the Male Athlete of the Month for October 2016 is Aidan Gehring. Aidan is a 15 year old Red Deer resident and goes to school at Hunting Hills where he is enrolled in the Sports Excellence Program. Aidan is a competitive baseball player with the Red Deer Braves. Read full press release >>>
Winning Edge Seminars
Another Winning Edge Seminar was well-attended by our AEP athletes. For our bronze athletes registered dietitian, Harrison Blizzard, presented an interactive seminar on a "Nutritional Game-Plan" highlighting proper nutrition pre-game, during the game, and post-game. In groups, our athletes looked at various competition scenarios, and worked together to identify proper food choices, then each group then shared their "Nutritional Game-Plan." Registered dietitian, Autumn Dyck, provided our silver athletes answers on the "if, when and what of supplements." Up next bronze and silver Mental skills # 2; November 16.
Red Deer Games Foundation Financial Assistance Program
The Games Foundation (RDGF) was formed for the purpose of recognizing and encouraging athletic competence and dedication by providing financial assistance. The grants will be awarded to individual athletes living in Red Deer and area demonstrating a high level of ability and strong devotion to their sport. Applications are now being accepted. Read full press release >>>
What are Mental skills? What is the role of a Sport Psychologist? For the most part, these are relativity new terms in the sports world. The Sport Information Resource Centre (SIRC) provided some insights to this very topic on their blog; highlighting the role and importance of mental skills and athletic performance. Read more >>>
The Top Five Most Asked Nutrition Questions
1. Are carbs bad?
2. Does wheat give me a belly? Will a gluten-free diet help me to lose weight?
3. Is processed meat safe to eat? What about red meat?
4. How much sugar is OK to eat?
5. Which type of fat is better? Read the answers >>>
Strength & Conditioning
12 reasons yoga is great for kids
12. Yoga encourages mindfulness and a mind-body connection that most of us ignore during our daily lives. Multiple studies of children with behavioural and physical challenges demonstrate large benefits. 11.Yoga practice can decrease aggressive behaviour, hyperactivity, and social withdrawal in children with autism and attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder. These same children shared more and communicated more effectively after practicing yoga for an hour. Read the top 10 >>>
"At one point in your life, you'll have the thing you want or the reasons why you don't."
- Andy Roddick, Tennis Player
Fast and Female Calgary Summit 2016 Event Location: WinSport-Markin MacPhail Centre Event Date: Nov. 6, 2016 More Details >>>Winning Edge Seminar - Mental Skills # 2 Bronze & Silver Date: November 16, 2016 Time: 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm Location: Red Deer College - Rooms 2503 & 2505Webinar-Keeping bench players engaged Company Name: Human Kinetics Event Date: Nov. 16, 2016 Event Type: Webinar More info >>>Servus Free Family Night - Christmas Crafts Date: December 7, 2016 Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm Location: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Museum Admission: FREE More info >>>Team building or fundraising events available at Heritage Lanes in Red Deer. More Info>>>
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Alberta Sport Connection.
We gratefully acknowledge the partnership & support from Red Deer College.