Radford University’s College of Education and Human Development announces its StoryCorps/TeacherCorps initiative. The project’s purpose is for individuals to record conversations about teaching with the StoryCorps app and upload the audio files to the StoryCorps website to draw attention to the teaching profession as one that influences everyone.
The college’s goal to reach at least 1,910 interviews throughout the next 12 months, a nod to the year in which the institution, then known as The State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Radford, was founded.
“This is part of a very important initiative to inspire and recruit teachers into the wonderful and rewarding teaching profession,” said CEHD Dean Kenna Colley. “This event will inspire you to remind the world that teachers are the ones that truly make the difference.”
The mission of StoryCorps is “to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world.” The StoryCorps app allows you to record and share stories from your mobile device. It is available on the App Store and for Google Play. Listen to Dean Kenna Colley and Dr. Martha Ann Stallings tell their story about inclusion in Montgomery County Public Schools.
Join Radford University in its efforts to celebrate the wisdom and power of dedicated teachers locally and globally. Interview someone and share the story. It's as easy as... (see directions on RU webpage.)
1. Download the app to your mobile device.
3. Schedule a time to talk in a quiet place.
- Choose a teacher in your life who has made a difference.
- Your phone is your recorder so make sure you're near your interviewee and in a quiet location.
3. Choose your questions and listen closely
- Tell me about a significant mentor or teacher in your life.
- Tell me a story about a school experience that you will always remember.
- What do you think will be different about teaching in fifty years? What do you hope will be the same?
- Additional suggestions for interview questions.
Download the directions and share with others!
Learn more about StoryCorp