Now’s the time to start your neighborhood’s Unity Garden
Looking for a productive project to bring your neighbors together, beautify your neighborhood, and grow food for the community at the same time? Start a Unity Garden! Sara Stewart, Executive Director, tells NRC that now is the perfect time to get a Unity Garden going in your neighborhood. Interested? Call, text, or email Sara at email@example.com or 574-315-4361.
Unity Gardens also provides free community education to improve public health. Learn more about Unity Gardens’ free classes and plant sales
, or enjoy wine, cheese, and chocolate at their Perfect Pairings
event on February 8.
Mayor Pete to deliver State of the City address on March 13
Looking for an easy and informative way to keep up with what's going on with city government? May we recommend the Mayor's annual State of the City address, which provides a lot of helpful information in one evening. Tuesday, March 13 at 6:00 p.m. @ John Adams High School. Bonus: refreshments afterward! Details.
NRC seeks crafty volunteers, donations of outdoor items
The warm weather a couple of weeks ago had us thinking about Spring, and NRC has a few slightly-secret plans up our sleeve for the 2018 block party season. To make those happen, we could use the support of our South Bend neighbors. Do you have (or know of) any of these outdoor items that could be donated to bring South Bend neighborhoods closer?
- Tailgate-type pop-up canopy
- Outdoor tables (folding or portable, but sturdy)
- Portable PA sound system or powered speakers
- Inverter generator (portable, +/- 1000-2000 watts, <60 dB)
- Portable volleyball net/ball
- Outdoor sign frames (realtor style, insert your own design)
If so, please let us know! Used (good condition, or easily repaired) is fine.
Also needed: crafty people, like woodworkers. If you have the skills and the time to build, say, cornhole boards, ladder golf, or similar projects (we have a few in mind), we’d love to hear from you, too.
Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a voicemail at 574-287-0425.
2018 city budget now available online
Keeping up with South Bend’s budgeting process is a great way for neighborhood leaders to make sure the needs of their neighborhoods are being met. You’ll find the newly-published “2018 Budget Book” online in the same location as other publicly-available budget information. To check it out, grab some coffee (it’s 250 pages!) and start at the city’s Finance Division webpage. Or if you’ve got the bandwidth for it, jump right to the PDF (seriously, though, it’s huge).
Engaging Youth off to great start
Did you see? Opening night of EYEN made WNDU's Wednesday night news!
Engaging Youth, Engaging Neighborhoods (EYEN) is a fantastic partnership between Neighborhood Resources Connection and University of Notre Dame. For several weeks, students in ND's Youth Empowerment class work with South Bend youth to help them find their voice in their neighborhoods. Thank you Jen Cardone WNDU for the story! More about EYEN.
Vacant Property Initiative Resident Legal Assistance Program returns for 2018
The City of South Bend is again partnering with the Notre Dame Clinical Law Center in order to offer the Resident Legal Assistance Program. If accepted into the program, it provides the legal work required in order to acquire a property through the County’s Commissioners’ Certificate Sale at no cost for lots that will be put to a qualifying use, such as a a neighborhood greenspace or a side yard for an adjacent owner. The upcoming Certificate Sale is March 7-9 and a list of eligible properties is available on the SRI, Inc. website. Read more at the City of South Bend’s website.
Calendar of Events
Save the Date:
- Friday, Feb. 2, 5:00 - 9:00 p.m. -- DTSB First Friday - Fire & Ice. Includes Meet Me in the Gallery, Winter Restaurant Week, Fireworks & Ice Carvings, and more.
- Wednesday, Feb. 7, 11:30 a.m. -- West Side Wednesday @ Chico’s. Facebook event page.
- Wednesday, Feb. 7, 6:00 p.m., Ignition Park -- Community Asset Mapping. Read more in the South Bend Tribune. (Note: this is a date/location change from the originally scheduled event.)
South Bend Common Council Meetings
- Tuesday, March 13, 6:00 p.m. -- State of the City Address @ John Adams High School
- Saturday, April 14, 8:00 a.m. -- Near Northwest Neighborhood Adopt-a-Block. Facebook event page.
- Saturday, April 28, 6-10 p.m. Tapas and Tango -- save the date for NRC's flagship fundraising event!
- May 28-June 3 -- Best Week Ever.
St. Joseph County Council Meetings