Engaging Youth, Engaging Neighborhoods begins January 24th
Free Information Session December 7
Students: get creative about changing your neighborhood for the better! Through art, photography, and other forms of expression, this free
program encourages youth to reflect on experiences, make connections in their neighborhoods, and work on justice issues and self-determination.
Led by Notre Dame faculty and student mentors, EYEN is free to students in grades 6-12 in the City of South Bend. Classes will meet Wednesdays, January 24th-April 25th, from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Near Northwest Neighborhood, Inc. (NNN). Co-sponsored by NNN and the University of Notre Dame.
Free information session:
- Thurs., Dec. 7
- 6:00 p.m.
- Near Northwest Neighborhood Inc., 1007 Portage Ave.
. Apply Now
#GivingTuesday is November 28th
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. #GivingTuesday connects diverse groups of individuals, communities and organizations around the world for one common purpose: to celebrate and encourage giving. More information about #GivingTuesday.
On #GivingTuesday, consider supporting NRC's efforts to strengthen South Bend neighborhoods, or any of South Bend's many deserving organizations.
Small Business Saturday is Nov. 25
South Bend's Small Business Saturday: Start the holiday season off right by participating in Small business Saturday for special deals, promotions,and more available in local businesses throughout downtown! May we shamelessly suggest brunch at our Community Partner, South Bend Brew Werks? Open early (10 am), with a free souvenir pint glass with any food or beverage item.
First Friday: December 1
Don't let December's First Friday sneak by... there's a lot of holiday cheer happening!
- Tree Lighting Ceremony & Santa’s Arrival: Entertainment-filled program at the Gridiron with The Valleyaires, live reindeer, ND Jump Rope Club, costumed characters, and more as we await Santa’s grand entrance to downtown South Bend. Tree lighting, fireworks, and concert to follow Santa’s arrival. Fri., Dec. 1 • 5:30 - 6:45 pm
- Downtown for the Holidays: Downtown businesses will be hosting activities throughout downtown, including holiday open houses at the South Bend Museum of Art and Dismas House, a European Market at Purple Porch Co-op, specials on food, drink, and retail, carolers, horse-drawn sleigh rides, and more!
Fri., Dec. 1 • 5 – 9 pm
- Cookie Decorating: Enjoy free cookie decorating across from the Gridiron in the DoubleTree lobby. Fri., Dec. 1 • 5 – 9 pm in The DoubleTree Atrium
- More First Friday events
Thank you for your support of Trivia Around the Bend
We loved seeing so many faces new to NRC in a fun-filled evening designed to raise awareness and funds, and make new friends. Funds raised help provide materials for NRC’s Neighborhood Leadership Academy (NLA), NLA workshops and the quarterly Neighborhood Leadership Roundtables. Read more
City Yard Waste End of Season Schedule
The City of South Bend’s Yard Waste Program runs from April 1 to November 30. The schedule for the last pickup is:
- Monday, November 27: Last Monday Pickup
- Tuesday, November 28: Last Tuesday Pickup
- Wednesday, November 29: Last Wednesday Pickup
- Thursday, November 30: Last Thursday Pickup
Yard waste extra pickups will continue through the end of 2017 and continue until April 1. Extra pickups must be scheduled by filling out the form on the City’s website or by calling 311. All City residents paying for City trash services can schedule a monthly pickup of one cubic yard of yard waste at no charge. All extra scheduled pickups must fall within the following guidelines: leaves must be bagged in biodegradable leaf bags; sticks and branches must be less than 4 feet in length and 4 inches in diameter; and waste must be in manageable bundles, tied securely with twine. No City yard waste containers or personal containers will be serviced. No plastic of any kind will be accepted.
Calendar of Events
South Bend Common Council Meetings
- December 7: Engaging Youth, Engaging Neighborhoods open house & reception, Near Northwest Neighborhood Community Room, 6 p.m. For more details, contact Diana at 574.287.0425 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 14: Neighborhood Leadership Academy team presentations and graduation reception. 6:30-8:30 p.m., The History Center (808 W. Washington). Limited tickets for the public will be available beginning Nov. 30. More.
- NRC offices will be closed Nov. 22-24 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
St. Joseph County Council Meetings
More calendar events