Neighborhood Leadership Academy applications close Sunday
Applications are already being reviewed, but it’s not too late for the future neighborhood leaders you know to submit theirs (so please share this with them!). The Neighborhood Leadership Academy is a free, eight-session program that empowers South Bend residents age 18+ to make positive change in their neighborhood. Launches Sept. 21. Applications close Sunday, Aug. 6. Learn more
Thank you, Academy Partners!
The Neighborhood Leadership Academy would like to thank these local organizations for supporting the 2017 Academy:
National Night Out Against Gnomes?
We’re not quite sure what trouble Gerome got himself into Tuesday evening (he won’t say a word about it) but as far as we know, most everyone else had a great time at National Night Out Against Crime
. Thanks to the South Bend Police Department for hosting a fun and educational event showing neighbors how to keep their neighborhoods safe from... well-meaning gnomes, apparently. See more photos from WSBT
Guess where Gerome is now, and win
We've sprung Gerome, and he's making the last of his summer travels. Guess where Gerome is now, and pick up a prize! An NRC gnome T-shirt is awarded each week. Be sure to like and follow the NRC Facebook page to join in the fun.
Congratulations to Jen Klein, our most recent weekly winner! All weekly winners are also entered into the monthly drawing for the grand prize, a choice between two tickets to NRC's Trivia Around the Bend on November 10, or two South Bend Cubs game tickets where winners go on the field for the South Bend Brew Werks community partner check presentation.
100 Homes for 500 Families seeks to “develop without displacement”
Neighborhood Resources Connection was in attendance Wednesday evening as approximately 60 people filled the WUBS Studio to observe the South Bend Common Council Community Relations Committee meeting. The focus was the “100 homes, 500 families” initiative. The plan calls for the construction of 100 new homes and the rehab of four nearby houses for each new house, to serve a total of 500 families. Couldn’t make the meeting? Read NRC’s report.
Also from the Common Council Community Relations Committee
Bravo! When neighbors connect arts to communities, growth shows
: learn more about "development without displacement" at a free screening of the award-winning documentary Holding Ground: the Rebirth of Dudley Street
Thursday, Aug. 10, 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Lasalle Branch Library (3232 W. Ardmore Tr.).
We echo the recent opinion of the South Bend Tribune
, which wrote, “[a]nyone who appreciates the power of the arts to help enrich a community probably cheered a couple of recent news stories. Both involved projects geared toward young people on South Bend’s west side.”
- Hundreds attended last week's Shakespeare in the Street’s production of Romeo and Juliet in Fremont Park, a partnership between the Fremont Youth Foundation, the Notre Dame Shakespeare Festival, and others. See Tribune photos.
- The University of Notre Dame's Sacred Music program is working to establish after-school choral programs in two primary schools on the city's west side.
- And, did you see this ABC57 story about Tiny Team? They’re a group of South Bend kids ages 3 to 12 who rap, dance and sing their message of positive things happening in the city.
All are examples of neighbors making connections between neighborhood assets... and that's how community growth happens. Applause!
Calendar of Events
South Bend Common Council Meetings
- DTSB Food Truck Friday - Aug. 4
- Back to School Rally & Youth Leadership Academy. Sat., Aug. 5. Registration & breakfast begins 8:00 a.m.
- Includes Parent/Youth workshops, kids' make-and-take activities, door prizes, and a bookbag/school supplies giveaway. Greater St. John Missionary Baptist Church, 101 N. Adams. See flyer (PDF).
- Bringing our Community TOGETHER event. Saturday, Aug. 5. 2:00 - 1:30 p.m., Corner of Elwood & Elmer.
- Features fellowship, food, music, prayer, encouragement, and a five-church combined choir. 1Sponsored by Christ Temple Apostolic Church, Far Northwest Neighborhood Association, and others. See flyer (PDF).
- Solarize South Bend workshop, Saturday, Aug. 5, 10:30-11:30 a.m., St. Joseph County Public Library main branch. Facebook event.
- City of South Bend Public Meeting - 2018 City-Wide Budget Overview. Wed., Aug. 16, 5:00 p.m.
- Art Beat 2017 - Sat. Aug. 19 (Facebook)
- Fremont Park Back to School Block Party - Aug. 20
St. Joseph County Council Meetings
More calendar events