Drumming for mindfulness and healing:
a simple way to calm the mind, remove stress and heal
From "The Scientific Buddha" -
The steps are literally 1, 2, 3:
"Psychology and science have identified both drumming and mindfulness meditation as helpful therapy for everything from stress to memory loss to supportive cancer care. This is not new science. Bringing the two together — mindfulness and drumming — can be life-changing. Even one session of meditation, focused on a drum’s beat, demonstrates how powerful this ancient meditation method can be in our stressful modern lives. The powerful and compelling rhythm of drums can still and focus the mind — the quick path to mindfulness."
Useful Variants: Don’t be Afraid to Try…
- Sit and get comfortable. Alternately, some people prefer to stand or even dance while drumming.
- Using any drum, drum a regular, monotonous beat. You can beat quickly or slowly. A heart beat, ba-bump, ba-bump, ba-bump has also been identified as therapeutic.
- Drum for at least 15 minutes. Simply focus on the beat (rather than your breath). Become the sound. As always, with mindfulness, if the mind drifts, just refocus gently back on the beat. If images appear, just observe. Be the listener (observer).
Above excerpts gratefully borrowed from "The Scientific Buddha" (reading the full article is highly encouraged!)
Drummm on... Jeni Swerdlow, MA-ATR
- Drum while visualizing, if this is part of your practice. Visualization meditation has extra health benefits.
- Drum while chanting mantras or an empowering phrase, if this is part of your practice.
- Drum while walking: similar benefits to walking meditation.
- Drumming outside in nature: very relaxing (if you don’t disturb the neighbors).
- Play a drumming recording and meditate to the sound.
- Try out different drums. They All Work, Even a Bucket.
- If your neighbors complain, try a pillow. (Not kidding!)
- All types of drums work for mindfulness and therapeutic use. Find one that is comfortable for you and is all about sound. Find what works for you.
Upcoming DRUMMM Events
“2nd Sundays” Monthly East Bay Drummm Circle
- PLUS Fundraiser for Puerto Rico Relief!
20% of proceeds will be donated to:
Puerto Rico & Caribbean Hurricane Relief Fund
Sunday, October 8 @ 2 – 3:15 p.m.
Napa Valley Music Associates presents –
Family Drummm Circle Workshop with Jeni Swerdlow
Wednesday October 11 @ 1:30-2:15pm
625 Randolph St, Napa
Friday Night Rhythm Revival!
Friday October 20 @ 8:00-10:00pm
Artiszen Cultural Arts Center, Vallejo
PASIC 2017 (Percussive Arts Society International Convention)
Wednesday, November 8 – Saturday, November 11
PLUS special daylong Drum Circle Facilitation Workshop with Jeni Swerdlow
on Sunday, November 12!
Indianapolis Convention Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
Want to make your Holiday Staff Party or Family Gathering a HIT? DRUMMM provides an uplifting, unifying experience that will bring your celebration to the next level! We provide drums for everyone to play, delivering a program that makes it fun & easy for everyone to connect & get into the groove. Hit me up at firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-316-2850 to get the groove rolling!
DRUMMM will make your next event a HIT!
Bay Area Drum Circles & Drumming Events
for Companies & Communities -
Team-Building, Wellness, Entertainment, Recreation