A TENDER TENNESSEE CHRISTMAS
That poignant line from Amy Grant's Christmas album of many years ago has always stayed with me even though I wasn't living in Tennessee most of the years. It conjured up a picture in my mind, an atmosphere in my emotions that always drew me into its spirit.
These days I get to actually live that out, complete with our relatively mild winter days and brisk nights. I couldn't be happier. Here are some things I'm especially grateful for this Christmas:
- My wife and family. We got to all be together for Thanksgiving at our home, and I can't put into words what that meant to Karen and me. We will see all of our children and grandchildren and spend precious time with them over these next few days. What a blessing. Karen, Carrie and Peder and Owen and Grant, Carissa and Andrew, and Christy - you are all loved more than you can know.
- My home. So many nights I will look over at Karen in our Mount Juliet home and say "I love our house." I really "want" nothing more - God has been so good to Karen and me that we really can't express in words our gratitude. Not only are we satisfied, we can't understand why God has been so good to us. It's a good place to be.
- Our church. The Holy Spirit has reaffirmed in recent months His clear calling upon our lives to serve the NFCN family and the greater Nashville area as your Pastor. We are more devoted and committed than ever to that calling, and excited about the future. You love us, take care of us, affirm us and allow us to lead you. What more could we ask? And the privilege of serving with our Staff Team and Church Board is truly special. What quality of people we have leading us.
- Inward peace and fulfillment. In a world literally going mad with barbaric terrorism, intense polarization, hateful anger and a constant thirst for more earthly things God has given us such peace within and fulfillment in our living it's impossible to verbalize. It's the kind of peace Jesus said this world cannot give us - only He can. And He has!
- Beauty all around us. Have you looked around your Tennessee surroundings lately? Have you thanked God you get to live here? We are blessed, my friends - let's live lives of grateful response to the goodness of God.
Yes, a tender Tennessee Christmas indeed. And it's not over yet. Praise the Lord!
CHRISTMAS WEEK SERVICES
OFFICE HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
The church office will be closed December 24-26 and December 31-January 2 for the Christmas/New Year holidays.
JOIN "THE GATHERING" IN 2015
Make a New Year Resolution to study God's Word at "The Gathering" at 510 Woodland each Wednesday night. New adult discipleship electives begin and age-level ministries/worship arts resume on January 7, with our popular Wednesday night meal beforehand and "coffee and conversation" afterward. More details soon!
NAZREC NEEDS COACHES!
Can you give a couple hours a week to make a difference in a child’s life? If so, we NEED you! We are looking for a few more coaches to fill some spots for our NAZREC basketball and cheerleading leagues. We need one more cheerleading coach, one 3rd-4th grade boys coach, and one 5th-6th grade girls coach. NAZREC can help supply resources to help you. This is a good problem to have in that we have more teams than ever before in our NAZREC league we just need to fill in these last few coaching spots. Please contact Matthew Dunlap, as soon as possible if you think you can fulfill one of these roles.
The week of Christmas will provide you and your family three different opportunities to worship together. It includes Saturday, December 20 at 5:10pm in The Branch, Sunday, December 21 at 10:00am and Christmas Eve (Wednesday, December 24) at 5:00pm. We hope you will invite your neighbors and family to attend a service with you.
FOLLOW US ON YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL MEDIA!
You can find us on Facebook
, see us on Instagram
and follow us on Twitter
! Just click on any one of the names above to go directly to NFCN!
THE BRIDGE NEWSLETTER - SINGLE ADULT MINISTRIES
Read the December edition by clicking here
HELP SUPPORT NASHVILLE FIRST CHURCH OF THE NAZARENE!
NFCN is now on Amazon Smile
! It’s a simple automatic way to support your church every time you shop with Amazon, at no cost to you. To use Amazon Smile simply click here
and log-in with your existing account or create a new account. Amazon will remember your selection, and then every eligible purchase you make at smile.amazon.com will result in a donation of .5% of the price of eligible purchases.
THANK YOU FROM CHERYL'S LIST - TURNING EMPTY ROOMS INTO HOMES
Since February, Cheryl’s List
has helped turn empty rooms into homes
for approximately 150
individuals/families. Donations of furniture/household items from First Church families and other caring individuals made this possible. Monetary donations, including the $10,000 provided by the 510 Foundation,
purchased $30,000 worth of mattresses for people who had been sleeping on the floor.
The Cheryl’s List
Advisory Board says “THANK YOU” to every supporter!
So that the ministry can continue in 2015, we need your continued support in three ways:
Have a wonderful Advent season. We pray that God will bless your generosity.
URBAN MINISTRIES DONATIONS
- Pray for the recipients, that they will see Christ and want to know him and that the Holy Spirit through God’s people will provide the needs, including a small warehouse and work space;
- Donate furniture and household items in good condition;
- Contribute funds. Place in the church offering checks made payable to the 510 Foundation with Cheryl’s List written on the For line OR use PayPal on the Cheryl’s List website.
Colder weather is coming. Donations of winter coats, hats, gloves, and blankets can be left in the Emmaus barrels located in the foyer.
GIVE TO OUR YOUTH WHEN YOU SHOP AT KROGER!
If you live in Tennessee and shop at Kroger, you can donate to the NFCN Youth Group every time you shop, simply by scanning your Kroger Plus Card at check out! It doesn't cost you anything, and it won't take away from your fuel points, either. All you have to do is register your Kroger Plus Card and choose First Church of the Nazarene (NPO #35793) as your charity of choice!
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED
We are in need of volunteers to drive our small bus
on Sunday mornings to pick up our senior adults who live at Trevecca Towers. You do not need a CDL license to drive. Contact Pastor Jack Galloway
COUNSELING REFERRAL MINISTRY
Everyone struggles. Sometimes it helps to talk about it. Did you know that Nashville First Church of the Nazarene offers resources to connect you to caring Christian counselors? All of the counselors are part of our church and ministry. Did you know that the cost may be reduced or fully covered by our Life Ministries? To request the list of counselors and how to contact them or for more information, click here.
"THE REAL LIFE" - NFCN's televised service on Cable Channel 19 in Davidson County (Public Access television - NECAT), times are:
Monday - 12:00pm
Tuesday - 6:30pm
Wednesday - 7:00pm
Friday - 10:30am
Saturday - 10:00am
Sunday - 4:30pm