In This Update:
- New Gallery Representation:
- Shows: Hsinchu Art Festival, Chihuly Collection
- Prototyping New Work: Cast panels
- Commissions: Paris Luxury Hotel, Actavis Corporation
- Museum News: Corning Museum of Glass
- For Glassblowers: Instructional videos
I'm happy to have my work in the Netherlands at Van den Doel | Van Dun Gallery
. Showing contemporary mixed media art, Van den Doel | Van Dun opened in a large historic building last month in central Oisterwijk.
Work just shipped for the grand opening of Wy's Gallery
on the north shore of Oahu in Hawaii. Founded by the former head of the successful Wyland Galleries chain and his son, Wy's are opening in Haleiwa and will be showing paintings and sculpture.
- Luxury Hotel Paris - Set to open later this summer, this hotel will have lots of original art on display including a trio of Spheres.
- Actavis Corporation - Once in a while I'll take on a commission that's different as a fun change of pace. These corporate awards were tricky to make but turned out beautiful.
- Hsinchu Glass Art Festival, Taiwan - July 2014
- "Glasscentric" at the Chihuly Collection, Saint Petersburg, FL - April 2014
Prototyping New Work
Recently I created cast glass panels
roughly 18" x 18" x 3/4" from murrine suspended in clear glass. I experimented with panels years ago and I'm excited to revisit this format. I'm intending these as individual art pieces as well architectural and larger-scale installations like hotel receptions.
These images were shot with the panel in a color-changing lightbox. I'll be making more panels in a range of colors this spring. There's a short video
of the color-changing effect in my blog.
The world’s foremost library on the art and history of glass and glassmaking is the Rakow Research Library at The Corning Museum of Glass. The Rakow's curatorial staff have ordered a
couple of my books (David Patchen; Glass)
and a set of videos--both biographical
for their collection.
I'm always making new one-of-a-kind work with new patterns, color combinations, details, etc. See the website for the latest work and news in the blog
I'm teaching a class in using cane at Public Glass this summer and to make the course more valuable, I decided to create videos of all the demos in advance. In addition to students being able to pay attention during live demos (versus shooting video), we could review the videos in class, pause to discuss technique and students can review them outside of class. These videos are currently here
, with more to come before the summer (cane pickup on a bubble, making a small collar).
- Contact me at email@example.com or call 650-740-9794. If you're in San Francisco, I'm happy to host visitors to the studio.
- Stay in touch - check out David Patchen Handblown Glass on Facebook.
- Forward this newsletter to a glass-enthusiast friend so they can subscribe.