Don't Forget to Renew your SHPE Membership!
Membership is $65 (free for recent grads) and provides access to a wealth of resources within the SHPE community - jobs, conferences, scholarships and resources for grad school, networking.
Noche de Ciencias
Moises E. Molina High School
2355 Duncanville Road
Dallas, TX 75211
Noche de Ciencias - Science Night – is a national program to promote knowledge and interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) among the Hispanic community.
Design Your World
- Fun hands-on STEM activities for students
- Useful college information for parents & students
- Bilingual parent workshops
- Food provided
SWE (Society of Women Engineers) Dallas
STEM Conference for 4th and 5th Grade Girls
For more information visit the website: http://designyourworld.org/
Sign up to be a volunteer: https://stemforgirls.wordpress.com/volunteer-information/
Robotics Team Mentor
Point of Contact:
- Sunset High School - Dallas ISD
- FTC team in FIRST Robotics
- Students need Mentors - building/improving robot
- Limited fabrication capabilities - needing assistance
- Fundraising volunteers
- Students 97% Hispanic & 38% considered economically disadvantaged
- many are 1st-time aspiring college students in their families
- Needing practical & emotional support and guidance
Friedrich T Elliott, MA MBA
AP & General Physics Teacher
Robotics Head Coach
Sunset High School | Dallas ISD
2120 W. Jefferson Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75208
High Tech High Heels
- Local org focused on sending women in STEM careers to speaking engagements in the community
- Needing to expand volunteer staff/connections
- Schools needing Minority speakers in the classrooms
- LET'S GET MORE WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN STEM!!
Point of Contact
- May 14
- 8am - 12pm
- 15 Minute rotations
- Presenters stationary; group of 8-10 5th graders will rotate rooms
- Overview of presenter's job description, what you do, why you chose it, why that particular field, & some encouraging words for 5th graders going into 6th grade
- Importance of Education, Listening, Respect, Perseverance, etc.
Counselor, Polser Elementary
9am - 1pm
4901 LBJ Dallas
Light Breakfast and Lunch will be provided
Open to members & Non-members!
BRING A FRIEND
Professional Development Events
Please fill out the following ONE QUESTION survey so your SHPE DFW Chapter can ensure to offer the speakers to provide the information you're most interested in hearing and learning about or simply wanting to engage in.
CLICK HERE FOR SURVEY:
Thank you for your input in advance.
RLDC Website: www.shpe.org/rldc5
to like the RLDC Facebook Page
The 2015 Region V Regional Leadership Development Conference will be held at the University of North Texas in Denton, Texas April 23-26.
The Professional Track will include a vast variety of workshops:
- Certifications/Hours: PMP, Six Sigma/Lean
- Business Development: How to Start Your Own Business, Patents, Branding Yourself
- Self-Improvement: Master Communicator, GRE Prep, Public Speaking, Personal Financing
REGISTRATION IS ALMOST OVER!!!!!
Registration ends March. 24th
Pricing is as follows:
Scholarship NOW OPEN!!
Deadline to apply: May 23
- Be of Hispanic heritage and a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident
- High school seniors must have at least a GPA of 3.0 and college students must have at least a GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale
- Be a full-time college student at a DFW college or university in the 2015-2016 academic year
- Pursue a degree in engineering, mathematics, computer science, and physical or applied science
Please have applications visit:
More info to come in the April Newsletter....
Walk for Education
Cummins Recreation Center
We hope that you've registered to be apart of the 1st Educational Walk in Dallas. The City of Dallas Health & Human Services, RaceTrac, US Navy, and K104 are just a few supporting the walk. Volunteer registration can be completed at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xlJ--JjO-_8CRXOmhW_eJ6pylorRu5-trQBhKOEIfXw/viewform?c=0&w=1
Click the link below to RSVP to the event via Facebook.
NSBE DFW will provide updates and you'll also be able to share with friends and get acquainted with others planning on attending.
Be on the lookout for 2015 DFW Upcoming Events:
- Professional Development Workshops
- General Body Meetings
- Leadership Development
- Community Service Projects/Events
- Community Outreach
- Student/Professional Interaction Activities/Events
If you have any events/information you'd like to share with the SHPE DFW chapter please do so by filling out the "Contact Us" form on the website provided above.
SHPE DFW Board of Directors:
Juan Meza (President) ● Juan Nevarez (Vice-President)
Casandra Manning Lozano (Secretary) ● David Cruz (Treasurer)
Justa Treviño (SHPE Jr. Chair) ● Rudy Treviño (Professional Development Chair)
Brianne Martin (Communications Chair) ● Clemente Quinones (Membership Chair)