Mardi Bras RVA
If you were a woman who was homeless, would you worry more about your next meal or your next period?
Exactly! It's a hard decision to make! Imagine not being able to afford basic needs such as tampons, pads, underwear and bras! Imagine your sister, daughter, or mom having to be concerned about basic needs. There are places that folks can go for a meal, but apparently it is hard to find basic necessities such as these. So... we are filling the gap. Join us, won't you?
Mardi Gras is a big party which takes place on Fat Tuesday in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Women are known to voluntarily bare their breasts to collect beads. We are taking this opportunity to cover some instead!
MARDI BRAS RVA is an alternative to Mardi Gras...where we are hosting 2 Open Houses to collect NEW bras, NEW underwear, pads, tampons, poise pads for women who are homeless and on a restricted/low income. It was also suggested to get menstrual cups, too, although we donâ€™t need many of those!
2 OPEN HOUSE GATHERINGS:
This is a time for diverse people to come together to solve a common problem! Everyone is welcome to attend! Representatives from our different partnering organizations will be here to conversationally share about the plight of women who are homeless.
Monday Night 2/16 5p - 8p
Tuesday Morning 2/17 10a - 12noon
Miss Martiâ€™s House, an urban ministry of Into The Neighborhood, Inc.
The Home of Marti and Louis Williams
2101 Barton Avenue; Richmond, VA 23222
We are collecting:
- Menstrual Pads and some tampons. Pads are needed more than tampons, please.
- Incontinence Pads and adult diapers.
- NEW Bras â€“ of ALL sizes! Please remember larger sizes, too. (like 40+ double and triple Ds)
- NEW Womenâ€™s underwear â€“ of ALL sizes! Please remember larger sizes, too. (like 10, 11 and 12s)
If you want to make a financial contribution, make your check to Into The Neighborhood and include a note that says Mardi Bras RVA, and we will use the funds to provide the necessary products. Mail it to:
Into The Neighborhood
2101 Barton Ave
Richmond, VA 23222
We are thankful for these gifts and contributions: A real answer to prayer!!!
GFC Catering for catering both gatherings.
The Cake Lady - for supplying beautiful cakes for both gatherings!
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
- Tell your friends, clubs, small groups, pastors, hair salons, etc. Use hashtag #MardiBrasRVA.
- Collect items and bring them with you or send them with a friend.
- People who can help pack and deliver to supporting organizations following the gatherings.
ORGANIZATIONS WE ARE SUPPORTING:
Check back often because we will update the list!
SUPPORTING ORGANIZATIONS INFORMATION:
If you know of a place that could use these items, give them a call and let us know what they need, so that we can collect and distribute them. Send the following information to missmartishouse[at]me[dot]com.
- Organization Name
- Contact Name, Number, Email
- Women they support and how they support them.
- Supplies Needed
- Are you willing to attend one of the gatherings to share about the plight of women who are homeless in the Metro RVA area?
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Join us at www.MissMartisHouse.com and/or www.IntoTheNeighborhood.org.
If you are on Facebook, join the FB Group >> https://www.facebook.com/groups/MardiBrasRVA/
If you can attend, please RSVP to the gathering you can attend here:
~ Monday Night, 2/16 5-8pm FB Invite â€“ https://www.facebook.com/events/752391614844746/
~ Tuesday Morning, 2/17 10a-12noon FB Invite -https://www.facebook.com/events/300731026804393
Thanks! Look forward to seeing you all!