|A Message From the Minister, Regional Tourism Conference, Tap into Tourism, Partnership Program Update & More!
BruceGreySimcoe Regional Tourism Conference – Still Time to Register!
With less than a week to go, there’s still time to join us in Collingwood for the second annual regional tourism conference. This year, the conference is being held at the Georgian Bay Hotel and features Keynote Speaker, Jeff MacInnis, Corporate Explorer and WIN Thinking Director. Imran Chowdhary from the Ministry of Tourism, Culture & Sport will be giving an update on the Strategic Framework for Tourism in Ontario. It’s a day filled with peer networking, breakout sessions, local food and beverage and the presentation of the Charlie Kelly Award. For more details, accommodation information and to register, visit the conference page
A Message from the Honourable Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
In a recent letter to tourism partners, the Honourable Eleanor McMahon shared news of the recently launched new Strategic Framework for Tourism in Ontario. Read the letter by clicking here
Tap into Tourism – Watch the Presentation Video
In collaboration with local school boards, RTO7 hosted two Tap into Tourism events this fall. The goal of these events is to increase students’ exposure to and awareness of the tourism industry and their potential place in it.
The keynote speaker at both events was Max Valiquette, VP of Strategic Planning at Publicis and founder of Youthography, North America’s first youth-market focused research and communications firm. Max spoke to the students about their demographic, Generation Z, and the importance of customer service to both personal and corporate brands.
RTO7 hired a videographer to record Max’s presentation, which can now be viewed by logging into the RTO7 Stakeholder Site
. Well worth watching for its information on the characteristics of Generation Z (the demographic cohort after the Millennials) and how to engage them in the workplace.
To read more about Tap into Tourism and the days’ agendas, student feedback, industry and teacher involvement, read the Connection Post
Partnership Program Update
It’s been a productive year for RTO7 and several of its partners who participated in the Partnership Program. Detailed information on some of the completed projects, including videos, can be found in this RTO7 Connection blog post
Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sports
The 2014 Regional Tourism Profiles for Ontario and the 13 tourism regions are now available on the MTCS website
. Profile information includes visitor statistics, visitor spending habits, hotel statistics and tourism related establishments. When on the website, choose Region 7 from the dropdown menu and then click “Go”. To read the complete newsletter for other information available through MTSC, please click here
OTMPC Updates & Opportunities
Attention event organizers! The Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation (OTMPC) and Festivals & Events Ontario (FEO) are partnering to produce the 2017/2018 edition of the Festivals & Events in Ontario Guide. To be eligible for inclusion in the book, events must be submitted online by Friday, December 2, 2016
to both OTMPC’s and FEO’s websites. For more information on the submission process, read the blog post
on RTO7 Connection.
Industry Awards & Accolades
- Ontario Tourism Awards of Excellence:
- Grey County Tourism, Tourism Digital Marketing Award for its 2015 summer/fall online campaign.
- Colin Field, Clarksburg, Travel Media Photography Award.
- Owen Sound Transportation Company, Tourism Digital Marketing Campaign Award over $25,000 for the Chi-Cheemaun ferry service
- Grace Summit (Executive Director, Resorts of Ontario), Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2016 Tourism Northern Ontario President’s Award:
- Owen Sound Transportation Company for the development of an exceptional tourism product in the Chi-Cheemaun Ferry. Presented at Northern Ontario Tourism Summit in mid-November.
- 2016 Craft Beer Award Winners
- At the Royal Winter Fair held in early November, awards were handed out for craft beer and cider. Winners in BruceGreySimcoe? Thornbury Beverage Company, Side Launch Brewing, Barnstormer Brewing Company and Creemore Springs Brewery. Read the Connection Post for award details.
If you haven't already done it, remember to: