|Free to Associate?
Chaired this year by Emeritus Professor Russell Lansbury
, our 2015 Debate Panel includes:
- Emeritus Professor Ron McCallum AO
- Michele O’Neil, Secretary, Textile, Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia
- Stephen Smith, Director National Industrial Relations, Australian Industry Group
- Keelia Fitzpatrick, Young Workers’ Centre
Join us for challenging and engaging discussion on the role of unions and employer organisations in the workplace relations system, our society and politics.
The 2015 Ron McCallum Debate will explore freedom of association: a fundamental right under increasing threat? The union movement is in the public spotlight with the Trade Union Royal Commission continuing and mired in controversy. The Senate rejection of the Registered Organisations Bill has set up a double dissolution trigger for the Government on the issue of union governance.
Our debaters will consider such questions as:
- The ongoing importance of freedom of association here and internationally?
- How to decide acceptable limits on freedom of association?
- What are the possible implications for freedom of association from the Productivity Commission inquiry into the workplace relations system and the ALRC’s Rights and Freedoms Inquiry?
Don’t miss what is sure to be a compelling debate! RSVP now: firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9647 9111