Many people feel as if they're adrift in there dance. They work hard, but they don't seem to feel they are getting anywhere or improving.
Most dancers hit this wall - so don't worry if you feel the same!
A key reason you might feel this way is because you haven't spent enough time thinking about exactly what you want to achieve in your dance, and haven't set goals.
After all, would you set out on a major journey with no real idea of your destination? Probably not!
Goal setting is a powerful process for thinking about your ideal future, and for motivating yourself to turn your vision -YOUR DANCE DREAM - into reality.
The process of setting goals helps you choose where you want to go. By knowing precisely what you want to achieve, you know where you have to concentrate your efforts. You'll also quickly spot the distractions that can, so easily, lead you astray!!
It is also important that you realise what you have already achieved - so often us dancers are soooo hard on ourselves - never truly taking five minutes to ourselves to reflect on what we have done, how we have strived for another year to be the dancers we want to be.
SO LETS GET GOAL MAKING FOR 2014 - Make this the year you achieve more than ever...
Below is a set of questions to help you set your goals! Grab a cup of tea - put some beautiful music on, light a candle, maybe have a bath first - RELAX and take time to really think about each question and how it will help you in setting goals you can achieve.
- What were your achievements for 2013? List here what you achieved and are proud of from the past year- big or small and don't be shy or hold backâ€¦EMBRACE ALL YOU HAVE DONE AND FEEL PROUD OF IT
- What helped your achievements happen? Look at each of your achievements and see why they happened - use these examples to help you in achieving your goals for 2014
- What were your disappointments for 2013? List all your disappointments. It is important to face up to them, they may also give you a sign as to what you might want to set as goals
- Why did these disappointments happen? Knowing this will help you recognise your weaknesses and issues you may be able to avoid in achieving your new goals for 2014
Now you have reflected on the year past - and you have a little bit more of an idea of what helps and hinders you in achieving what you want to - keep these in mind when setting your goals!
- What do I want to achieve in 2014 and continue achieving from 2013? List everything, be ambitious!
- Using what I have learnt from the past year about myself how can I ensure these goals are achieved?
- Set some general overall goals that incorporate the themes that most of your goals fall under. This is something very general like "to be more active and less lazy" OR "be more confident and outgoing" try to write it in a positive manner.
- Pick 5 (or less) of the themes that are easy to break down into specific goals adding a date and method of achievement. Set out your goals and use what you have learnt earlier about yourself to help with strategies to achieve the goals - give yourself dates on when to achieve them and write these dates in your diary !! Set some mini dates before the main date - where you can review some of the goals and see if you are still on the way to achieving them !!
GOOD LUCK - I hope this EXCITES you and leads you to really push yourself to achieve EVERYTHING you can dream of - because IT IS POSSIBLE !
I believe an amazing dancer exists in ALL OF US - we were born knowing to dance we just have to remind ourselves - AND GET ACTIVE in doing so!