In addition to brushing after meals and flossing nightly, your daily food choices can contribute to a healthier smile. Consider the benefits of these seven – some might surprise you:
• Cheese is high in calcium and low in sugar. It contains casein which remineralizes tooth enamel for added defense against tooth decay.
• Bacteria in plaque consume sugar, creating acids that eat away at tooth enamel. Sugarless gum with Xylitol breaks that chain. Chewing gum also mechanically removes some food debris, plaque, and bacteria.
• Eating celery makes you generate saliva which flushes bacteria from the mouth. Its fibrous strands naturally clean teeth when chewing, as well.
• Fluoridated water remineralizes teeth, helping to reverse enamel damage from acids.
• Pears have a natural acid neutralizing impact on teeth. Fresh is best, since dried pears contain concentrated sugar and stick to teeth.
• Yogurt is full of casein, calcium, and phosphates to fortify tooth surfaces.
• Sesame seed oil reduces plaque and bacteria to fight gingivitis, while it aids in the remineralization of enamel.
So eat well, and skip the sugary snacks and soft drinks. Your teeth and your whole body will thank you. Read More