The Carlton Female Refuge
|Female refuges, where ‘unchaste’ women were confined in the hope that they could be converted and reformed, were established throughout the Western world from 1758 with the opening of London’s Magdalen Hospital.
The first such institution in colonial Victoria was Melbourne’s Carlton Refuge. Its original site was on Madeline (now Swanston) Street, but in 1890 the institution moved to Keppell Street, Carlton, where it would operate until its closure in 1949.
PROV records shed light on a non-denominational institution established in 1857 to care for and reform “fallen women” – the Carlton Female Refuge.
Read about this Archival Snapshot here.