Often I take the time to enjoy a cup of tea, especially after exercise, to soothe my throat and lungs. You know how Yogi brand has those little inspirational words on the tag? Well this one caught my eye and I have been returning to it when I need to remind myself about the body/mind connection.
To be healthy: eat right, walk right, and talk to yourself right.
Know Your Muscles and
How to Keep Them Happy
Muscle: Quadratus Lumborum
Attachment Sites: Bottom rib, TVPs* of L1-L4, and Posterior iliac crest
(*Transverse processes (TVPs) - the little bones that stick out from the sides of the vertebrae)
Action: Laterally lifts the pelvis, flexes the vertebral column to the same side
(Ex. The muscle that helps you hold a toddler on your hip!)
How to Stretch:
1. Sit or stand with a straight spine.
2. As you take a deep breath, reach one of your arms straight up, with your palm facing in as you lengthen your body.
3. As you exhale, continue to reach out through your fingertips as you tip your body so your palm faces down.
4. Continue to reach and bend until you feel a slight stretch through the side body of your extended arm.
5. Take several deep breaths, increasing the reach and tip with each exhale. Repeat on the opposite side. Try with both arms raised.