Please Ask Interview Questions
I’m in the process of hiring a Senior Full-Stack Developer - apply if you want to have a dream job in development! - and a few other positions at my company, This is reminding me of a strange trend: interviewees not asking any questions of the interviewers and their company.
Always Ask Questions
I don't know why someone would not ask questions in an interview. The whole point of an interview is for us to get to know each other. To find out if we will be a good fit for each other. If this will be a good working relationship - the goal of every hiring manager and you.
Yet, I am often surprised by how many people don't have questions or are reluctant to ask questions in an interview.
Questions Show Interest
When you ask a question about the role, the team, and the company, you hsould that you are interested in the position, and you want it to be a good fit, vs. just a job.
You should be asking a list of questions about how this role fits into your career goals, and just your day-to-day work wants. Every question is a good one, and helps you and the hiring manager learn about each other.
Questions Show Preparation
When you ask questions, you show the hiring manager that you've given thought to this role, this team, and this organization. It shows that you care about this job - not just any job.
When you ask detailed questions, that's when the hiring manager knows you've done your homework, that you are a detailed person who cares about your work and will be prepared on a daily basis.
Questions Show You Care
Above all, questions show that you care about the time your spending thinking about this job and the time the hiring manager is spending on you. So your questions are not a waste of time. In fact, they are just the opposite - they are the key to winning your new job.
So do yourself, and your potential employer a favor - ask questions at your interviews.
Want a quick and free primer on the digital development career path? Then watch my ICT4Djobs webinar with Devex where I covered the essential skills you need for a successful ICT4D career.
This Week's ICT4D Jobs Listings
- IntraHealth is seeking a Senior Full Stack Developer to join their Digital Health team in Chapel Hill, NC, or wherever IntraHealth has an office.
- Development Gateway is currently hiring a Deputy Director of Operations for their Washington D.C. location. They are looking for someone to start ASAP so don't wait on this one.
- Looking for a fellowship? Well look no further! AFRINIC is offering fellowships for the AFRINIC-30 meeting in Uganda. Not totally sold yet? Well read more about it!
- Palladium is seeking a Team Leader for their Human Development Innovation Fund program. If you're a Tanzanian national, you are strongly encouraged to apply.
- DIAL is looking for the perfect Technical Associate for their Platforms and Services team.
- But maybe that's not quite your cup of tea. You can still apply for their Technical Program Manager or Technology Advisor roles, both key players on their Data for Development team.
- Looking for a remote job? Awaaz.De is seeking a full-time Full Stack Technical Lead and a Full Stack Software Engineer, both remote roles. Benefits include the ability to work from your couch, in your pajamas, among other things.
- Awaaz.De is also looking for a new Vice President of Global Programs. This opportunity is based out of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with travel to India and the US.
- If you're based in New York, you should check out UNICEF's Digital Health Planning and Deployment Specialist role, part of their Health Section.
- Fraym is seeking an Associate Spatial Data Analyst for their Mclean, Virginia, office! Don't wait on this one.
- Of course, if "spatial" is throwing you off, it's still worth it to apply for Fraym's Data Analyst position.
- You don't have to run for president to be involved in politics! You can also apply to be the North Carolina Democratic Party's Data Director, a role based in Raleigh, NC.
- But wait! If you're based in Phoenix, you can still get involved by applying to be Arizona Democratic Party's Data Director. There isn't a formal application page for this one, so the most important thing to note about this role is that applicants need not have campaign experience, but better be hungry. You can just email Eric Foster-Moore (email@example.com) with your CV if you're interested.
- If you're looking for a meaningful internship that requires way more than pushing papers and refilling pens, look no further than The Lab @ DC's Podcast Internship. Plus, it's paid.
- The Lab @ DC is also seeking a summer Research Associate to join their team, starting in May until about mid-August. Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis for this one so don't wait!
- Are you a web developer looking for a client? Eric Foster-Moore has a friend who is starting a podcast and henceforth needs a simple website built. Email him: firstname.lastname@example.org
- VillageReach is hiring a Manager for their Data Analytics Team, based full-time in Seattle Washington.
- Medic Mobile is seeking a Data Scientist to spearhead the organization's data science roadmap. This role is based in North America with some flexibility -- they have offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, and Kathmandu but are open to remote work. If you happen to need a role with some flexibility, this is one worth checking out.
- UN Women is currently offering a unique internship opportunity out of their Humanitarian Action and Crisis Response Office. This role is based in Geneva, Switzerland. Apply today! Don't wait.
- The International Youth Foundation is looking for a consultant to help craft their 2019-2021 Digital Strategy.
There are more jobs to be found on the ICT4D Career Network. Jump over there now...