Please Practice the Interview
Interviews are hard. Like a first date, you don't always know what to expect, and often you don't know who is going to be in the room or what mood they will be in.
Yet the interview is what makes or breaks your chance at a new job. It is the most high-risk moment in your job search.
Do not leave it to chance
Before the interview, research who you think you will be talking with. Look them up on LinkedIn, Twitter, Google - wherever you can find them to better learn about their interests and background.
Make a list of questions they might ask you - and be creative. Expect them to ask about your history, but what about skills or issues in your field? Or industry bodies and initiatives? Or even recent organizational accomplishments?
Then practice interview questions with your friends. Best to do it with friends who are strong enough to tell you when you're messing up, but kind enough to give you support and guidance so you'll improve.
Practice in-person and remote interviews
You may be interviewing in person, but these days interviews over the phone or video call are becoming more common.
Learn how to roll with questions when you only have a disembodied voice coming over the line, as much as when you're in the room.
Also, figure out which type of interview you prefer - in-person, voice, video - and push for that option. Key to success is feeling comfortable from the start.
Now practice your interview again
Seriously, please practice your interview multiple times until you've memorized certain responses and your friends can't fluster you with odd questions.
Interviews are the key to getting from a CV to an offer letter. Don't leave them to chance - practice, practice, practice.
Want a quick and free primer on the digital development career path? Then watch my ICT4Djobs webinar with Devex where I covered the essential skills you need for a successful ICT4D career.
This Week's ICT4D Jobs Listings
- DFID is looking for a Senior Adviser, Digital, Innovation & Emerging Tech to join their Emerging Policy, Innovation and Capability (EPIC) department.
- Fluent in French? You might went to check out Cameroon Newborn DIB's opening for a Data Manager. It just might be the one for you!
- NFWF is seeking a full-time Senior Data Scientist for their Washington, DC location. Apply today!
- Medic Mobile is looking to fill a Community Manager role with some flexibility of location. Be sure to check it out.
- CAMRIS International is hiring for a Senior Health Information Systems Advisor. This role will be based in Arlington, Virginia.
- Are you an experienced project manager? Then it might be worth your time to read about Anova's Data and Reporting role, based in Johannesburg. Apply ASAP to be considered.
- EGPAF is seeking a Global Data Solutions Developer to focus on DHIS2, data modeling, and visualization in their Washington, DC office.
- Rainforest Trust is scoping out qualified candidates for the perfect Conservation Monitoring Officer. Apply today for this rare and unique role.
- Are you based in East Africa? Do you want to be? Technoserve is looking to hire a Technology Consultant for the Development of catalyst MIS for Coffee Africa. That could be you.
- Partners in Health has an opening for a Senior Software Development role in their Medical Informatics Team. This role is based in Boston, MA, and is worth checking out.
- If you live in Portland, OR, or if thats just always been an unrealized dream of yours, keep reading! Kiva is seeking an innovative Full Stack Engineer to join their team.
- If you're California-dreaming, you can still apply to be a Senior Platform Engineer, and you will instead be based in San Francisco.
- Of course, maybe engineering isn't quite your thing. Not to worry! You can still apply to Kiva to be their newest Director of Data Science.
- D-tree has a very exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Developer to be based remotely with frequent travel to our field sites. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, so don't wait on this one!
- UBC has an opening for a Post-doctoral fellow in Global Digital Health policy. You never know! It could be you.
- Attention consultants! Save the Children is seeking a Consultant for MCBR Assessment. Be sure to read more about this exciting, meaningful opportunity.
- If that consultancy isn't quite your cup of tea, it might still be worth it to check out WHO's RFP, to carry out Requirements Gathering for the FP and ASRH reference applications. Want more details? Click the link and check it out.
- Social Solutions International is seeking a Visual Analytics Analyst for their Crystal City, VA, location. Apply today!
- UK aid is seeking an A1 Senior Advisor, with focus in Digital, Innovation, and Emerging Tech. Apply by November 19th to be considered!
- Down for a challenge? You might want to apply to be a judge or mentor for The Big Ideas Contest, which is seeking judges and mentors across 8 social impact categories to share knowledge and expertise with the next generation of changemakers. Apply by November 5th to be considered!
- IntraHealth International is hiring for a Senior Manager of Strategic Information to function out of their Nairobi, Kenya, office. Check out this full-time position!
- Arcadis is hiring for a plethora of roles right now, so hop on this ASAP if you haven't yet stumbled across anything you liked! You just might find the one for you.
There are more jobs to be found on the ICT4D Career Network. Jump over there now...