How Do I Get My First ICT4D Job?
In the last email, I asked you what career question do you wonder about? What job search mystery do you want to know the answer to? What has always perplexed you in international development?
Thanks to those who asked questions. You can too - just click here!
Q1: How do I get my first ICT4D job?
A subscriber wrote in to ask me how they could break into digital development - their dream job since the Peace Corps. When learned about ICT4D, they immediately thought: "Wow, that's what I want to do with my career!".
They even had a company in mind that they wanted to work with, but how do they get noticed for that key first job?
Try a Volunteer Consultancy
I find that a volunteer consulting role is a great way to get noticed at an organization - and across the ICT4D field. This isn't some envelope-stuffing gig, though.
A volunteer consultancy is a 4-6 month consulting arrangement with all the rigor and expectations of an actual consulting role (say supporting a human-centered design engagement or building out data reporting structures) in exchange for experience & exposure instead of cash.
Key here is that you and they treat this as a real consultancy. Don't fall into the trap of slacking because you're not being paid in cash. In fact, you're being paid in a much more valuable asset - time and connections.
A volunteer consultancy will give you deep insight into the organization and show off your skills to them. If they don’t hire you, you’ll now have solid portfolio for your CV and know people who will want to hire you.
Yes, Volunteer Consultancies Work!
How do I know a volunteer consultancy works? I've hired people who volunteered with my organization and I watched many others get hired right from their volunteer consultancy.
In fact, that was the whole basis for Geekcorps which launched the digital development careers of many of its volunteers.
Want a quick and free primer on the digital development career path? Then watch my ICT4Djobs webinar with Devex where I covered the essential skills you need for a successful ICT4D career.
This Week's ICT4D Jobs Listings
- PATH, on behalf of the Coalition Secretariat, is seeking a Data & Technology Project Manager to support the recently launched Global Family Planning Visibility & Analytics Network (GFPVAN),
- D-tree International is hiring a full-time Program Director, based in Stone Town, Zanzibar.
- The Elizabeth Glaser Paediatric AIDS Foundation a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS is looking to hire a Solutions Specialist – Informatics Unit
- World Resources Institute (WRI) seeks to recruit a Project Specialist - Membership and Governance, NDC Partnership
- IFC is seeking a Manager for its Telecommunications, Media and Technology practice and a Knowledge Management Analyst to support online learning around the world.
- Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) seeks a Project Manager to support PAD operations and scale-up activities in India.
- Precision Agriculture for Development, Inc. (PAD) is also looking to hire an Implementation Associate based in India.
- The Research for Equitable Access and Learning (REAL) Centre within the Faculty of Education of the University of Cambridge wishes to appoint a Senior Research Associate (SRA) and a Research Programme Administrator
- Project Concern International (PCI) is currently seeking a Managing Director (MD) for AfriScout, a young start-up social enterprise of PCI based in Kenya.
- QED is a global consulting firm looking to hire a Communications and Outreach Specialist dedicated to USAID’s Feed the Future Knowledge, Data, Learning, and Training (KDLT) project.
- The World Bank Group's Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) Rapid Application Development -ITSRD is in search of a Senior IT Assistant, Business Management
- The World Bank Group Operations Solutions unit of the Information Technology and Solutions (ITS) vice presidency is seeking a Senior IT Officer, Business Solutions.
- Internews is seeking a full-time Program Associate based in Washington DC.
- The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOTC) is looking to hire an
Information Systems Assistant based in Vienna.
- The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is looking to hire an Information Systems Officer (Cyber Security Officer) based in Geneva.
- The SPM group is looking to hire an interim Senior Program Officer (SPO) for its Integrated Portfolio Management effort.
- Amazon seeks a dynamic individual to join its Sustainability Technology team as a Data Engineer
- The Institute of Development Studies (IDS) has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Research Officer
- The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS) is seeking a Head of Research to invigorate and expand research programs at the Institute.
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is looking to hire an Information Management Assistant.
- UNICEF is looking for a Technology for Development Specialist, NOC, based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- IMF is looking for a candidate to take on the role of Information Technology Officer (Data Dissemination Team)
- UNAIDS seeks to hire a Data Analyst who will be part of the team working on the HIV and AIDS Data Hub for Asia and the Pacific.
- UNICEF is looking to hire an International Biomedical Engineer to provide technical support to MoHS in Sierra Leone.
- Viamo is seeking a Country Manager in Niger.
- VSO one of the world’s leading independent international development organization is looking to hire a Livelihoods ICT4D Advisor based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Last Mile Health is hiring a Database Developer based out of Liberia.
- Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization looking to hire an ICT4D coordinator.
- Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is also looking for a Senior Program Manager -ICT4D for Health Applications.
- One Acre Fund is in search of a Chief Technology Officer and multiple other ICT4D positions.
- Viamo is looking to fill the position of USAID Partnerships Manager in Washington and multiple vacancies around the world.
- WHO seeks a digital health and sexual and reproductive health consultant to help them reach adolescents.
- Environmental Defense Fund is looking for a Chief Information Officer to lead all aspects of IT for the organization
There are more jobs to be found on the ICT4D Career Network. Jump over there now...