Do Job Interviews Make You Nervous?
Job interviews are always stressful. You are trying to show that you're able to perform years' worth of skills in maybe an hour or two - how could that not make anyone nervous?
Job Interviews Are Stressful for Everyone
And while it may not console you much, the interviewer is just as nervous as you. They have to make a major decision that will reverberate for years, in that short time window too.
Practice Interviewing to Calm Your Nerves
The best way to calm yourself down and improve your chances of getting ajob is to practice the interview so you know what to expect, and what you'll say to interviewer questions.
Get a friend to ask you questions as if you're in a real job interview. Then get someone who you know, but not that well, to ask you different questions, so you'll have experience in a more realistic setting.
Finally, one of the best ways to practice is to go on as many real interviews as you can get - even if the job may not be one you really want. There is no substitute for a real interview by someone who doesn't know you.
If You Still Freeze, Own It
Even after all that practice, you may still freeze up on interview day. Or say the wrong thing when you meant something else. It's okay, everyone messes up. The best response is for you to own the mistake as soon as you realize it.
Employers know they are hiring humans who make mistakes. Best are employees who are quick to see and correct mistakes, so show them that strength from the start.
Yes, even be so bold as to ask for another interview if you think its warranted. It's better to be known for someome who wants to fix a mistake, than someone who lets mistakes define them.
Now Practice Every Way You Can
Okay, enough advice. Now go practice your job interview skills. Learn how to turn a question you don't like into an answer you do. Or how to show, not tell, your accomplishments. And finally, find a way to make the interview show off your best skills and abilities.
Want a quick and free primer on the digital development career path? Then watch my ICT4Djobs webinar with Devex where I covered the essential skills you need for a successful ICT4D career.
This Week's ICT4D Jobs Listings
- Creative Associates International is looking for their next Manager, Technology for Education and Economic Growth for their HQ in DC!
- CARE is looking for a Chief Information Officer to lead IT strategy and oversee the use of enterprise application systems in the organization.
- JSI is currently seeking an outstanding Project Director for a possible award of the USAID-funded Country Health Information System and Data Use (CHISU) global cooperative agreement.
- DFID is on the hunt for their next Senior Data Engineer to lead a team of developers based in DFID Bangladesh.
- IntraHealth is seeking a Director, Monitoring, Evaluation, Research, and Learning (MERL) for an upcoming five-year USAID Integrated Family, Household, and Community Health & Nutrition project in Mali.
- GSMA has a very exciting role for someone to be based preferably in Atlanta, but also open to US-wide (as there will be traveling involved), as a Senior Market Engagement Manager. The role will be supporting the new Digital Equity Initiative that GSMA will be rolling out in the US.
- You could be the next Senior Technical Advisor, Data Science for Palladium! The position is based in Washington, DC.
- Based in Toronto? Grantbook is looking for an Implementation Specialist!
- How about Goma, DRC? Mercy Corps is hiring a Technology For Development (T4D) Officer (Data Science) in Goma!
- World Renew has an RFP for a Data Software Consultant! It could be you!
- Interested in working remotely? The Engine Room looking for a Technical Project Manager to lead on the design and implementation of tech- and data-heavy projects that seek to advance social justice.
- The Engine Room is also looking for a Regional Support Lead to manage a team that works closely with local and national civil society partners, designing and implementing projects and building their long-term strategic data and tech capacity.
- Not quite for you? Well, the Engine Room is looking for a Project Assistant to support our teams on researching, designing and implementing projects that support civil society in the responsible and strategic use of data and technology.
- Perhaps you could be the next Technologist to work with the team and our partners in implementing technical projects in a context-aware and responsible way.
- Tetra Tech is looking for its next T4D Staff Associate in Arlington or Burlington.
- Fluent in English and Spanish? UNICEF is looking for an ICT Officer in Argentina!
- If you are an Afghan national, UNICEF is also looking for an ICT Associate.
- Speak Arabic? UNICEF is looking for two dynamic, self-motivated Web Content Interns in Beirut with experience and skills in web content management system, to publish content on the website.
- UNICEF is also looking for a Product Manager Blockchain Product & Partnerships for their Office of Innovation in New York City.
- CAMRIS is hiring a USAID Knowledge Insight Specialist (Digital Media) in Washington, DC.
- Digital Empowerment Foundation is looking to fill a Software Developer role, as well as other positions, in India. See them all here.
There are more jobs to be found on the ICT4D Career Network. Jump over there now...