Telegenetics, Now in Williamsport
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center in Williamsport, partnering with the Cancer Genetics team at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, is offering virtual risk assessments, genetic counseling, education, and genetic testing to patients with personal and family histories of cancer.
This program connects patients directly to UPMC specialists in Pittsburgh, providing unique access to expert specialty care while avoiding long-distance travel and related time and expenses.
Genetic risk assessment, counseling, and testing gives patients a glance into the future by identifying those most at risk for cancer and educating them on what the increased risk means for them. Determining whether the cancer in someone’s family is hereditary helps develop the most appropriate ongoing care plan for prevention and detection.
Certain factors determine if a person is an appropriate candidate for the program. Someone who has had multiple cancers, a rare cancer (such as male breast cancer, medullary thyroid cancer, pancreatic cancer, ovarian cancer, or pheochromocytoma), developed cancer at a young age, or who has a strong family history would likely be considered.
Anyone can be referred to the UPMC Cancer Genetics Telemedicine Program. Appointments are available the first Tuesday of the month starting September 1 at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center in Williamsport, at UPMC Williamsport Divine Providence Campus, 1100 Grampian Blvd.
During a telegenetics appointment patients will meet in person with a clinic nurse and have a video conference with one of our medical geneticists, Michael Bashford, MD or Phuong L. Mai, MD. Together, they will provide cancer risk assessment and genetic counseling/testing based on personal and family cancer histories.
For appointments, call the Cancer Genetics Program at 1-800-454-8156. Provider and patient self-referrals are accepted.
Breast genetic counseling will continue to be referred to the Breast Health Center at UPMC Williamsport Divine Providence Campus, at 570-326-8200.
Learn more at UPMCSusquehanna.org/Telegenetics.
New Bowel Control Treatment in Williamsport
Jasneet Bhullar, MD, recently became the first colorectal surgeon in central Pennsylvania to perform the implantation procedure for the new InterStim TM II system, for the treatment of chronic fecal incontinence. The InterStim TM II, uses neuromodulation, a therapy that utilizes gentle nerve stimulation to normalize bowel-brain communication to control the symptoms of chronic fecal incontinence. Dr. Bhullar sees patients at 700 High St., Suite 1003, Williamsport. To learn more about the InterStim TM II system procedure or to refer a patient, call 570-321-3160.
UPMC Primary Care Lewisburg is Now Open
Robin Spangler, MD Christine Belgio, CRNP
Primary care providers Robin Spangler, MD, and Christine Belgio, CRNP, will see patients at UPMC’s newest clinic– UPMC Primary Care Lewisburg located at 260 Reitz Blvd, Suite C. Dr. Spangler has practiced family medicine for 30 years in the Susquehanna Valley and will relocate from Family Medicine at Montoursville, 900 Plaza Dr., Montoursville. Christine Belgio, CRNP, has 15 years of experience as a nurse practitioner. For more information about UPMC Primary Care Lewisburg, call 570-567-5450.
UPMC Health Plan Update
- Whether a patient is a UPMC Health Plan member, looking for new coverage, or seeking answers to health insurance questions, they can meet with one of the helpful associates seven days a week. The UPMC Health Plan Connect Center is located at 1925 E. 3rd St., Loyal Plaza, Williamsport. Appointments aren’t necessary but will help better serve your patients. Appointments can be made by calling 570-322-9260.
- To receive the latest UPMC Health Plan news and information for network providers, read or sign up to receive the monthly Provider Partner Update.,
- If your office has any UPMC Health Plan network questions, please contact Kim Makowski at email@example.com.
- Provider Online Tutorial Videos Available
Please see our new Provider Online tutorial videos at the following link to learn more about how easy the UPMC Health Plan provider portal is to help you care for your patients.
View Provider OnLine Tutorial Videos
- Coverage of Telehealth Well-Child Visits
The COVID-19 pandemic has led to unprecedented social distancing measures. These guidelines have encouraged people to avoid leaving their homes except for essentials like groceries or urgent medical care. As such, many parents are postponing pediatric well-visits.
As indicated by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Bright Futures periodicity schedule, UPMC Health Plan recommends that children covered by UPMC for Kids, UPMC for You, and commercial plans see their PCP in person for annual well-visits. However, in light of current social distancing guidelines, UPMC Health Plan will consider well-child visits done via telehealth and conducted in a way that optimizes care delivery as valid well-child visits.
UPMC Health Plan will cover telehealth well-child visits for pediatric members of UPMC for Kids, UPMC for You, and commercial plans in accordance with AAP Bright Futures recommendations. Coverage varies based on the need for in-person well-child testing.
- UPMC Health Plan has developed billing guides to assist providers in administering and billing compliant telehealth well-child visits.
- EPSDT Telehealth Billing Guide
- CHIP / Commercial / Individual Telemedicine Billing Guide
Note for all billing guidance for EPSDT: The EP modifier must still be placed first for EPSDT billing consideration. Remember, these steps are not intended to supersede your preferred methods of care delivery and the provider is responsible for the appropriate billing of services.
- Update on UPMC Health Plan Member Cost Share for Colorectal Cancer Screenings Update UPMC Health Plan is making colorectal cancer (CRC) screening easier and more accessible for members. We are changing our billing procedures for UPMC Health Plan members who complete a fecal test with a positive result necessitating a follow-up colonoscopy. Learn about the adjustments in our billing guide and the next Provider Partner Update newsletter.
Our providers continually strive to improve access to care. Call today for the earliest available appointments for your patients.
Orthopaedics/Sports Medicine/ Foot & Ankle
Williamsport and Bloomsburg: 570-326-8457
Lock Haven: 570-893-5437
Lock Haven: 570-321-3760
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Lock Haven: 570-769-1300
Director, Business Development
Joseph M. Makowski
Southern/Eastern Lycoming, Union, Snyder, Northumberland, Montour, and Columbia Counties.
Central/Western Lycoming, Centre, Clinton, Tioga, Potter, Bradford, and Sullivan Counties.