View this email in your browser

Not-for-Profit Resource Newsletter

APRIL 2022

Please forward this newsletter to anyone who may be interested.
Subscription and Unsubscription information is contained at the bottom of this newsletter. 

NFP Resource invites your comments and suggestions as to how we can make this newsletter better and of more use to you.

Past editions of the newsletter can be found here
Services for non-profits

Visit our 'Resources' page for links to useful services for non-profits including consultants, accountants, software etc.

Do you offer a service to non-profits?  Contact us to advertise here or on the website.

NFP Resource website averages over 2000 visitors per month, predominantly from NZ.  This newsletter is mailed to over 700 addressees per month - website posts 
Visit the webpage for links to selected news items about charities and non-profits in New Zealand.  
Recent articles linked from the page include:
  • Amazon has reportedly cut back on AWS credits for charities
  • Charities struggle to deliver humanitarian aid into Ukraine
  • Australian charities locked into funding starvation mode
  • NZ's cashless society forcing charities to adapt online

          Read these articles and others here

Workshops, Seminars, Training, and events for non-profits

EVENT Location From (on) To (date) Organisation
The Effective Director series AUCKLAND  Mon 28 Mar Wed 30 Mar GOVERNANCE NZ
Governance and Management: Roles and Responsibilities on-line Wed 6 Apr   ANCAD
NFP Sector Conference on-line Thu 7 Apr   GROW
How to be a Great Board Member or office holder on-line Wed 13 Apr   ANCAD
Resourcing Leaders in Times of change on-line Wed 4 May   ANCAD
Reconciling all Things - A Christian Perspective on Health AUCKLAND Sat 7 May   CMF
Practical Non-profit Strategy 1: How to really do more with less on-line Wed 11 May   ANCAD
Minutes Meetings and Resolutions on-line Tue 17 May   GOVERNANCE NZ
Nonprofit Summit 2022 on-line Tue 17 May Wed 18 May SALESFORCE
Practical Non-profit Strategy 11: How to develop strategies that make a difference in the real world on-line Thu 26 May   ANCAD
Reconciling all Things - A Christian Perspective on Health CHRISTCHURCH Sat 28 May   CMF
Setting up a new organisation: Legal responsibilities and financial oversight on-line Thu 2 Jun   ANCAD
Resourcing Leaders in Times of change on-line Wed 6 Jul   ANCAD
Governance and Management: Roles and Responsibilities on-line Thu 4 Aug   ANCAD
How to be a Great Board Member or office holder on-line Thu 11 Aug   ANCAD
Funding Options for your Organisation: What now and what next? on-line Thu 18 Aug   ANCAD
Strategic Grant Seeking and Writing Workshop AUCKLAND  (Takapuna) Thu 25 Aug   ANCAD
FINZ Conference 2022 - Changemakers WELLINGTON Tue 30 Aug Thu 1 Sep FINZ
Resourcing Leaders in Times of change on-line Wed 7 Sep   ANCAD
Other Fundraising Options: Donations, Bequests, Business Support & Events on-line Thu 15 Sep   ANCAD
LINC Conference 2022 BLENHEIM Sun 18 Sep Tue 20 Sep AuSAE
Resourcing Leaders in Times of change on-line Wed 2 Nov   ANCAD

Are you running a training session, workshop or seminar of general interest to non-profits? If you are, please let us know so that we can include the information in our calendar.


Financial Reserves.  Barry Baker of Grant Thornton has provided information about a new guide entitled "Your Guide to creating a Plain English NFP Reserves Policy"

"Not for Profit organisations need reserves to fund organisational change and improvements, and to provide a buffer for potential events that will adversely affect the organisation ... "  

- See "Reserves Policies for Non-Profits" 

End of Financial Year. Most non-profit organisations have the end of their financial year as 31 March. Registered NZ Charities are required to file their annual returns with DIA Charities within 6 months (ie by the end of September for a 31 March EoFY) in an approved format.   

Simplified Annual Reports for Tier 4 Charities.  DIA Charities advise that a simplified reporting template has recently been issued for those Registered Tier 4 Charities which meet certain criteria. <more details>.

Match | Te Puna Taurite (MTPT). 
The launch of MTPT has been delayed slightly to allow further trials and tweaking of the website. MTPT is described as being " an innovative new service to help both those seeking and distributing philanthropic funding in Aotearoa New Zealand.

The vision of Match | Te Puna Taurite is a more equitable, accessible and collaborative funding system. It aims to more easily connect those with funds to those that seek them.

MTPT is designed to address pain points across the philanthropic and charitable sector which have been recognised for many years. One key example from the JB Were Cause Report that highlights the inequality that currently exists within the philanthropic sector is that  91% of total donations and bequests go to only 9% of charities, (this leaves the remaining 91% of charities competing for the remaining 9% of philanthropic funding!). MTPT won’t fix problems like this overnight, but it will start to alleviate some of them and support meaningful change.

Fundseekers will be able to post funding requests to get in front of multiple funders with one action. There will also be additional support for sectors of the population who are currently underserved by philanthropy such as Māori, rainbow, disability, Pasifika, refugee and new migrants. Match | Te Puna Taurite will strengthen the voice of the fundseeker in the system and support ongoing systemic change." 

<More details>

NZ Post Community Programme.  NZPost advise that applications for the NZ Post Community Programme are now open, with applications accepted  until 5pm on the 11th of April 2022.   

"Through this programme, NZ Post will be giving away up to 34,000 free deliveries (worth roughly $240,000) to around ten organisations working on projects to improve connection, belonging and inclusion for New Zealanders.  

The programme is best suited to impact organisations and charities that are looking to send out around 3000 – 6000 parcels over the twelve-month period (July 2022– June 2023). However, we will accept applications from those sending out a minimum of 1500 parcels in a year.  

The selected organisations will be receiving the courier via the set-up of an E-ship account. For the programme to work effectively, the organisation must have access to a printer. The programme is not inclusive of packaging. "

Check out the shortlisting criteria linked to the form which outlines how NZ Post will assess the applications.

<Details and to apply>

Do you have a blog, opinion piece, or article on a non-profit topic that you would like to be considered for the NFP Resource website or this newsletter?
Contact the Editor to discuss

Not-for-Profit Resource Newsletter

Sponsored by BRIGHTSTAR

Copyright © 2022 Not-for-Profit, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.
NFP Resource only requests an email address (and optionally name details) from those who wish to subscribe to our newsletter. Physical and IP addresses - including country/region are not held. 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp