News and Highlights
UniPID News & Events
News on UniPID's FinCEAL Plus activities
- The following Fall semester UniPID Virtual Studies courses are open for registrations or still upcoming:
- New UniPID project launched: PRE-LEAP-RE. The project brings together a team of renewable energy actors, Pan-African and Pan-European organizations, SMEs and research institutes to contribute to sustainable development. See flyer here and join the Stakeholder Group here.
- In October, UniPID will be launching a travel grant call to support Master's thesis data collection outside Finland and a grant to support seminars on global development organized in UniPID member universities. Stay tuned and follow our website and our Facebook page to be notified when these calls open!
- Rolling call for UniPID DocNet membership open! If you are a doctoral student dealing with development topics or themes, consider applying for DocNet membership. More information and application form can be found here.
News from our members and collaborators
- Registration open for the FinCEAL Plus Final Seminar, which takes place at Think Corner, Helsinki, on 11 October 2018. The seminar is organized under the rubric Research and Innovation Cooperation with Africa, Asia and LAC - Future Prospects for Science and Policy. At the event, the project will take stock of the lessons learned and provide a platform for discussing the outlook and driving factors on the current and future cooperation with the target regions. Organized in two sessions, the first part of the event will focus on the external assessment of the FinCEAL initiative to determine the contribution FinCEAL has made to the Finnish STI landscape. The second part of the event will include the launch of three policy briefs which analyse relevant questions for each of the FinCEAL regions and the recommendations that can be drawn for future policy action. Read more at our website. Registration is open until 4 October 2018 here.
- ASEAN-Finland Research Seminar Webcasting on 25 September 2018 at 9:00 AM (UTC +3). UniPID and FinCEAL Plus, University of Helsinki and the embassies of Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Royal Thai Embassy, alongside the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of Finland organize this high-level seminar. The event will be live-streamed, find the link on our website. Further information from Jarkko Mutanen.
- Open position at Aalto Global Impact: Project Specialist. The Project Specialist will be responsible for the coordination of the Strengthening problem-based learning in South Asian Universities (PBL South Asia) project funded by Erasmus+ Capacity Building in Higher Education programme. Deadline for applications is 21 September 2018. Read more and apply here.
- World Food Day Seminar 2018 at the University of Helsinki 10 October 2018. The Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry in cooperation with the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and three regional research and development projects operating in Africa and supported by the Government of Finland organize this World Food Day seminar to share highlights and key findings. Please register here by 5 October 2018.
- Seminar: Human meets Machine - bright or bleak future? 18 October 2018 at Think Corner. The event, organized by the discipline of Development Studies at the University of Helsinki, FSDR, Pekka Kuusi Ecofoundation and Demos Helsinki addresses the acute and challenging questions relating to digitalization and democracy, with special focus on the Global South. More information on Facebook.
- SKY doctoral course - Decolonising Knowledge Systems in the Social Sciences: The Power of Silences 5-6 November 2018. The doctoral course features guest lecturer Swati Parashar from the School of Global Studies at the University of Gothenburg. The course is open for all Finnish and foreign doctoral students. Register for the doctoral school by 5 October here. More information from Elina Penttinen.
- The Finnish Society for Development Research (FSDR) Development Days conference “Repositioning global development: changing actors, geographies and ontologies” takes place from 27 February to 1 March 2019 in Helsinki. It will feature three keynote speakers, which will be announced in due course. The call for sessions can be read here, and further information found here.
|Upcoming Events - Finland
Suomen tavoitteet ja toiminta Unescon hallintoneuvostossa 2018-2021: Missä mennään? 26 September 2018. Helsinki, Finland. Sign up here by 21 September 2018.
World Food Day Seminar 2018. 10 October 2018. Helsinki, Finland.
FinCEAL Plus Final Seminar: Research and Innovation Cooperation with Africa, Asia and LAC - Future Prospects for Science and Policy. 11 October 2018. Helsinki, Finland.
Asian Studies Days 2018 - Tackling sustainability challenges of runaway urbanization and water shortages. 17-18 October 2018. Espoo, Finland.
Seminar: Human meets Machine - bright or bleak future? 18 October 2018. Helsinki, Finland.
Annual Social Policy Conference - Global Social Policy and Wellbeing Mechanisms in Low- and Middle Income Countries (LMICs). 25-26 October 2018. Tampere, Finland.
Responsible Organising #2. 13 November 2018. Helsinki, Finland. register here by 7 November 2018.
Development Days 2019: Repositioning global development - changing actors, geographies and ontologies. 27 February - 1 March 2019. Helsinki, Finland.
Upcoming Events - International