This is a special issue of The Marijuana Report, a weekly e-newsletter produced by National Families in Action in partnership with SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana). Subscribe to The Marijuana Report and visit our website, The Marijuana Report.Org, to learn more about the marijuana story unfolding across the nation.
NFIA consists of families, scientists, business leaders, physicians, addiction specialists, policymakers, and others committed to protecting children from addictive drugs. Our vision is:
About National Families in Action (NFIA)
- Healthy, drug-free kids
- Nurturing, addiction-free families
- Scientifically accurate information and education
- A nation free of Big Marijuana
- Smart, safe, FDA-approved medicines developed from the cannabis plant (and other plants)
- Expanded access to medicines in FDA clinical trials for children with epilepsy
About SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana)
SAM is a nonpartisan alliance of lawmakers, scientists and other concerned citizens who want to move beyond simplistic discussions of "incarceration versus legalization" when discussing marijuana use and instead focus on practical changes in marijuana policy that neither demonizes users nor legalizes the drug. SAM supports a treatment, health-first marijuana policy.
SAM has four main goals:
- To inform public policy with the science of today's marijuana.
- To reduce the unintended consequences of current marijuana policies, such as lifelong stigma due to arrest.
- To prevent the establishment of "Big Marijuana" - and a 21st-Century tobacco industry that would market marijuana to children.
- To promote research of marijuana's medical properties and produce, non-smoked, non-psychoactive pharmacy-attainable medications.