YOUR CARRIAGE TO VIENNA!
Open Forum 2019
Newsletter #8 - 22 August 2019
Modern Vienna and Prater Amusement Park
See Vienna and experience its new lively and colourful face from the Danube Island. Visit the United Nations Centre and take in the view of Vienna’s Skyline from the adjacent Danube Tower. From there it is only a short distance to the Prater Amusement Park and its “Riesenrad” (Ferris wheel), one of the landmarks of this city (built in 1897). Taking a ride is a must when in Vienna.
Through Vienna in a horse-drawn carriage
As much a part of Vienna as St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the Giant Ferris Wheel; there is almost no cosier way to explore Vienna’s attractions than by fiaker. The term "fiaker" originates from the French and refers to the hackney carriage stand in the Parisian Rue de Saint Fiacre. In 1720, the carriages - which had previously been referred to as "Janschky" coaches in Vienna - were renamed "fiakers" (and numbered).
A walk in Naschmarkt
Since the 16th century people in Austria have come to the Naschmarkt to enjoy the different products brought here by farmers from outside the city, and those that came from overseas by boats and ships from different parts of the world that were once connected to the Austrian empire.
Today the market is more than a tourist attraction, and serves a wide variety of different purposes; providing the local residents with their daily food shopping, selling spices and delicacies from all over the world and but also offering visitors from around the globe a chance to enjoy the main sights and sounds of the market.
The Secession building was built in Vienna in 1897 by Joseph Maria Olbrich as architectural manifesto and exhibition hall for the secession group. The building was called the Secession as it was the seceding of the "rebel artists" from the long-established fine art institution that gave rise to this structure.
The building features one of the most widely recognised artworks of Vienna Secession (a branch of Art Nouveau art movement, also known as Jugendstil): “Beethoven Frieze” by Gustav Klimt. The motto of the Secessionist movement is written above the entrance of the pavilion: "To every age its art, to art its freedom" (German: "Der Zeit ihre Kunst. Der Kunst ihre Freiheit").
The Hundertwasser House in Vienna, designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser, is one of Austria’s architectural highlights and draws visitors from around the world. It bears the unmistakable hand of the artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, whose birth name was Friedrich Stowasser.
The colourfully decorated exterior façade of the House draws attention to itself almost magically. Anyone who lives in the House also has the right to decorate the façade around the windows entirely to their own taste.
More than 200 trees and shrubs on the balconies and roof terraces make the Hundertwasserhaus a green oasis in the heart of the city.
The Hundertwasserhaus can only be viewed from outside; right opposite it, however, there is the Hundertwasser Village, which is open to visitors. It was created out of a tyre workshop in 1990-1991. The artist created his own shopping centre here with a village square, a bar and numerous stores in the typical Hundertwasser style.
MAK - Museum of Applied Arts
One of the most famous representative buildings on Vienna’s Ringstraße, the MAK serves as museum and laboratory for applied arts at the interface of design, architecture and contemporary art. Its core competence lies in a contemporary exploration of these fields aimed at revealing new perspectives and elucidating discourse at the edges of the institution's traditions. The MAK focuses its efforts on securing an adequate recognition and positioning of applied arts. It pursues new approaches to its extensive collection, which encompasses various epochs, materials, and artistic disciplines, and develops these approaches to compelling views.
The Albertina not only has the largest and most valuable graphical collections in the world, with works such as Dürer’s “Hare” and Klimt's studies of women. Its latest exhibition collection presents masterpieces of the Modern, spanning Monet to Picasso and Baselitz. As the largest Hapsburg residential palace, the Albertina dominates the southern tip of the Imperial Palace on one of the last remaining fortress walls in Vienna. The collection, which was established in 1776 by Duke Albert of Saxony-Teschen, a son-in-law of Empress Maria Theresia, comprises over one million prints and 60,000 drawings. Famous pieces such as Dürer's "Hands folded in prayer", Rubens' studies of children and masterpieces by Schiele, Cézanne, Klimt, Kokoschka, Picasso and Rauschenberg are displayed in the rotating exhibitions.
Museum of Fine Arts
The newly constructed museum building in the Vienna Ringstraße was ceremoniously opened in 1891. For the first time, most of the imperial Habsburg collections were housed under one roof, the monumental building itself being conceived as a memorial to Habsburg patronage. The architects Gottfried Semper (1803-1879) and Karl von Hasenauer (1833-1894) designed the building in the style of the Italian Renaissance, establishing in the spirit of Historicism a link with an epoch of special significance for the arts and sciences. The magnificent architecture creates a fitting setting for the artistic treasures assembled by the Habsburgs, for centuries enthusiastic patrons and collectors.
The collections of the Kunsthistorische Museum are amongst the most important and spectacular in the world. The 16th century Kunst- und Wunderkammer (art and treasure chambers) of Archduke Ferdinand and of Emperor Rudolph II, together with the baroque collections of Archduke Leopold Wilhelm form the nucleus of the Museums magnificent collections, in which the taste and artistic preferences of these and other connoisseurs of the Imperial Family are still discernible today, thus conveying a sense of the Imperial glory of the art-loving Habsburg dynasty. The Museums collections range from Ancient Egyptian and Greek and Roman Antiquities to the Collections of Medieval Art to the splendid Renaissance and Baroque Collections. In all, the museum is divided into eight different collections, some of which are housed in the Hofburg and in the Schönbrunn Palace.