Deadline Rapidly Approaching to Apply for 2016 USATF National Championship Meets
Applications must be completed by Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 11:59 p.m., Hawaii Time
The applications for the major 2016 USATF Championships and the 2016 IAAF World Indoor Championships are now available. The full list of meets included can be found below. Please note that we do not yet have a date or location on the Indoor Combined Event championship. Since you can edit your application up until the due date, please feel free to either a) apply now and remove that meet later or b) wait until we have firm dates and a location to add the meet to your application. We do not know how long it will be before that information is available so please be patient and we will let you know when we know.
The application process is essentially the same as last year, however, instead of using a pre-check page to determine your eligibility to apply you now simply login to your my.usatfofficials.com account. Once you're logged in, you'll be able to apply if you are eligible. If you don't have an account yet, you will be able to create one from the login page (links below). Please note that this account is NOT the same as your USATF.org account and they have separate usernames and passwords. All the instructions for creating an account are on that page.
Requirements for Applying:
- Currently Certified including current USATF Membership
- National or Master-level official (if you have recently requested an upgrade, it must be processed by your certification chair BEFORE you can apply)
- Applications must be completed by Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 11:59 p.m., Hawaii time.
Requirements for those Selected:
- Complete the USOC/USATF SafeSport Training (free)
- Complete and pass the USATF Background Screening (minimal cost involved)
If you are selected and do not complete those two items or you fail to pass the Background Screening then your selection will be withdrawn. While this is a new requirement this year, it will be this way going forward.
In addition for those who plan on applying for both the SR Indoor and World Indoor meets, there is a question on the application about whether you are able to stay over in Portland between the two meets. While logistics are still being worked out, since World Indoor officials will be required to arrive early due to training and other requirements, it will most likely be easier to stay in Portland with only a couple of days between events. Please also be aware that just as it was for World Juniors in 2014, the SR Indoor meet will be a run-through for officials and as such many officials selected for World Indoors will also be selected for the SR Indoor championships.
National and World Meets:
- USATF Indoor Combined - Date and Location TBD
- USATF SR Indoor Championships - March 11-12 in Portland, OR
- IAAF World Championship - March 17-20 in Portland, OR
- USATF Junior Championships - June 24-26 in Clovis, CA
- Olympic Trials - July 1-10 in Eugene, OR
To apply, login at https://my.usatfofficials.com/ and you will see the application information at the top of your profile. You may also access it through the public applications page at https://my.usatfofficials.com/applications but you will still be required to login.
Remember, applications must be completed by Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 11:59 p.m., Hawaii time.
Please remember that October 15, 2015 is the deadline for submitting additional voting delegates to the N.O.C. to me. You should have received an email from me if your association is entitled to additional voting delegates along with the appropriate form for submission. After October you cannot submit new names to me. You can, however, substitute names if you meet the October 15 deadline for the initial submission. The bottom line is to submit the number of delegates your association is entitled to prior to October 15 even if you are not sure those folks can attend. You can substitute after October 15 as long as you have named someone as additional delegates.
This is not an election year; however there is always the need to vote on some issues at the convention. Please get those names to be ASAP.
I look forward to seeing all of you in Houston in a few weeks.
Upcoming Webinars Update
The Training Subcommittee is offering webinars on various subjects on Sunday evenings.
The next webinar is "Horizontal Jump Rail Measurement" (presented by Marty Johnson) and is scheduled for Sunday, October 18 at 7:00 p.m. ET. Click here to Register.
On Sunday, November 8, a webinar on Warm-Up Procedures for Javelin presented by Robert Kern is scheduled. Click here to Register.
USATF National Officials Hall of Fame ~ Class of 2015
It is with great pride that we announce the 2015 inductees into the USATF Officials Hall of Fame. Each of the inductees has reached the highest level of officiating and has gone above and beyond to further the sport of track & field and enhance the quality of officiating across the country and throughout the world.
The Officials Hall of Fame Class of 2015 is:
- Gordon Bocock ~ Kentucky Association
- Winifred Eggers ~ Illinois Association
- Darlene Hickman ~ Pacific Northwest Association
- Thomas McTaggart ~ New York Association
- Shelby Sharpe ~ Southwestern Association
Congratulations to the Class of 2015.
Please be sure to help honor the Class of 2015 by attending the Hall of Fame and Awards Banquet on Friday evening, December 4, 2015 at the Hyatt Regency (Host Hotel) in Houston Texas. Reservations are now being accepted. Contact Scott Rose at email@example.com. To download the banquet flyer and reservation form, please click on either or both of the links below. The links can also be found at the very end of this newsletter.
Banquet Flyer in Word Format
Banquet Flyer in PDF format
Annual Meeting ~ Equipment & Facilities Subcommittee
Bob Springer, Chair of the Equipment & Facilities Subcommittee, has sent us a note that in addition to the normal business meeting of the Equipment & Facilities Subcommittee that this year he will be leading a discussion on how other countries handle the tasks of weights and measures. If you are planning to attend this year’s annual meeting in Houston, this maybe a great committee meeting to attend. This year’s subcommittee meeting is currently scheduled for Thursday afternoon, Dec. 3 at 3:00. Meeting times are always subject to change so check the schedule.
Best Practices Updates
Rich Schornstein has reports that they have reorganized the layout of Best Practices materials on our N.O.C. “Resources” web page. All items now appear under one of 38 primary categories, making searching a bit easier. The library of Best Practices and Resources materials now totals over 200 entries. This year 5 new documents were added and 32 existing documents were updated. Recent updates include Lap Scoring, Flight Coordinator Activities, and Officials’ Coordinator Planning pages. Visit the site to check on items in your area of interest, and please help spread the word about the existence and the value of these documents. To see all documents, simply go to https://my.usatfofficials.com/resources.
Remember this is a great source if you are organizing a clinic or if you have been asked to be a clinician. Rich Schornstein, the keeper of this library would welcome any input that you are willing to send his way. You can contact Rich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NCAA Conference Championships
Bob Tice of the North Carolina Association has again spent countless hours over the past few months compiling a list of NCAA Indoor and Outdoor Conference Championships for 2016 with dates, locations and contact information. If you are interested in officiating at one or more conference meets this coming year, check out the links below.
Be sure to tell Bob thanks. He truly has completed a monumental task to bring us this information.
USATF National Officials Committee Awards Finalist
Each year at the USATF Annual Meeting, we set aside some time to honor those officials that have truly given their best and then some to USATF and officiating. This year we will again be honoring those officials on Friday evening, December 4 at our Annual Awards Banquet and Hall of Fame Inductions. The finalists for 2015 for the N.O.C. six awards are as follows in alphabetic order.
Andy Bakjian Award Finalists are:
- Michael T. Armstrong, Arkansas Association
- B. Ronald Boemker, New England Association
- Shirley O. Connors, Pacific Association
- John C.D. Drolla, Jr. South Texas Association
- Kenneth M. Morton, Kentucky Association
- Frederick V. Newhouse, Gulf association
- Barbara J. Palma, Adirondack Association
- Patrick E. Pretty, Wisconsin Association
- Robert A. Springer, Pacific Northwest
- Eric D. Zemper, Michigan Association
Horace Crow Award Finalists are:
- Kathy McLymond, Niagara Association
- Richard R. Messenger, West Virginia
- John Murray, Pacific Association
- Eric Smith, Florida Association
- Robert A Springer, Pacific Northwest Association
John Davis Award Finalist are:
- Donald P. Berry ~ Maine Association
- Kenneth M. Morton ~ Kentucky Association
- Virginia R. Mulanax ~ Ozark Association
- Richard Robert ~ Southern California Association
- John Todd ~ South Carolina Association
James Grey Award Finalists are:
- William J. Boyd, Pacific Association
- Roger Burbage, North Carolina Association
- Shirley O. Connors, Pacific Association
- Richard H. Schornstein, Colorado Association
- Robert A. Springer, Pacific Northwest Association
Lori Maynard Award Finalists are:
- Robert “Bob” Bowman, Pacific Northwest Association
- Elliot Denman, New Jersey Association
- Justin Kuo, New England Association
- Dan Pierce, Colorado Association
- Dave Snyder, Southern California Association
Charles Ruter Award Finalists are: To be determined
The winners of the Awards will be announced at the Hall of Fame and Awards Banquet during the Annual Meeting at the Hyatt Regency in Houston Texas on Friday evening, December 4th. I hope that you are planning to attend. Congratulations to each and every one listed above. Banquet information can be found at the one of the links below.
Banquet Flyer in Word Format
Banquet Flyer in PDF format
If you have pictures or photos of any or all of these officials and would like to share them for possible use during the awards banquet, please send them to the N.O.C. Awards Chair, Scott Rose. Please be sure to identify who is in the picture and grant permission to use them.
Finalist for the Charles Ruter Award will be posted in the November newsletters.
- October 15, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. Hawaii time: Complete application for National and World Meets.
- December 31, 2015: Complete SafeSport review and email certificate to Len Krsak.
Coming Next Issue:
- Annual Meeting Updates
- Announcement of the Charles Ruter Finalist
In case you were not able to open the links embedded in the above news items, they are below: