GREAT SPEAKERS NEWSLETTER - March 12, 2018
HOW NOT TO BE BORING!
BASIC TOOLS that ARE a MAGIC REMEDY
"There is one thing any presenter, speaker, entertainer, or actor MUST NOT BE...", my American Academy of Dramatic Arts Acting coach told us, "and that is BORING."
Here are a few of the Basic Tools I have used over the last 28 years coaching people on how to be INTERESTING.
- You make sure that the central thought is IMPORTANT to the audience and to you. If you are NOT excited about the information (the gift you have to give) neither will your audience. Let me elaborate. If you do not believe in what you are saying the audience won’t believe, trust, or listen to you and you might as well go home. They want to be excited by you and your ideas.
- You must make sure you are PRESENT. This means ALL your attention, focus, interest, listening and awareness is on the audience members. This is the HARDEST ONE TO DO and it requires practice and more practice.
- You must realize that IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU. The audience is not interested in you. They want to see through you, to themselves doing what you are talking about and succeeding.
- You have to envelope the audience with your energy, embracing them with it. Your energy, commitment, and passion must be above that of ordinary human beings so it can migrate to the audience and reach their hearts. You have to be BIGGER THAN LIFE.
- You make sure your instrument (your body and your voice) work together to create the magic needed to reveal your gift to the audience. You do that by training both to be sensitive to the audience and to your message. You find coaches to help you with this – vocal, acting, movement, speaking coaches. You only grow when you learn and practice. You have to PRACTICE MAGIC.
- You must work on your voice – pauses, pitch, pace, power and most importantly; that which most ignore, giving value to every word that comes from you and lands on the minds and hearts of the audience. Above all I have found 80% of speakers need to slow down.
- AND MOST IMPORTANT – you have to ask yourself what blocks you from being connected, open, available, listening, caring, in tune with an audience?
- TAKE CARE OF WHAT BLOCKS YOU. What blocks you? - SIMPLE – the voices in your head that say, "you’re not good enough", "you are boring", "you will lose your place", or "the audience doesn’t like you". These are lies. You cannot build on the negative. LEARN THE TRUTH about your strengths, your magic and use them to build on.
It takes practice and dedication to move out of that negative mind frame into one that offers valuable thoughts and ideas which can influence those listening. And that gift is NEVER BORING. We, the audience, are always looking to be reminded we are not alone, and that there are ways of accomplishing our dreams. If you do not believe you have that gift to give, then I say frankly, don’t speak.
I had a session with a client yesterday and we talked about what was in her way. She had a hard time articulating it. When I had her go up and speak a minute or two about her favorite vacation; I saw her eyes shifting and her speech quickening as well as using a monotone voice. I asked her what she thought was in her way. She didn’t know. I suggested it was that she didn’t want to be seen.
I have seen it many times in actors who quickly read the lines with a soft, monotone voice (making no commitment or connection to the words or the audience). They look everywhere except at the person they are speaking to, the very person they want to influence. They don’t want to expose all that they think is wrong with them fearing that everyone watching sees it too. It’s true of almost all speakers and actors, especially when they first start.
"Creativity is an Act of Bravery"
My energy is dedicated to supporting the dangerous artist, the authentic speaker, and all other adventurers brave enough to go outside their comfort zone to explore the extraordinary that lives in them.
ONE FOR-SURE WAY TO CREATE AND KEEP THESE IMPORTANT TOOLS is to find the right COACH -
- Someone who is your honest, supportive mentor.
- Someone who is a mirror and reveals the amazing part of you to yourself.
- Someone who makes you feel you have finally discovered the secret to expressing your wonderful gifts in ways you didn’t know were remotely possible.
I AM OFFERING A FREE 1/2 HOUR PHONE COACHING SESSION TO FIRST 3 NEW PEOPLE WHO SIGN UP FOR MY GREAT SPEAKERS USE ACTING SKILLS NEWSLETTER AND WHO ANSWER THIS NEWSLETTER OFFER.
Sign-up and then email me at: Barbara@barbarakite.com
What is Great Speakers Use Acting Skills?