Letter from the Editor.
Happy Summer Solstice! The longest sunlight of the year. (But truth be told, yesterday was the best day of the year).
I am about to head out the door but thought I would update you on a lot of things.
- I did an improv show at the beach. The audience was stoic. I had an out of body experience where I saw myself dancing around on the stage like a montage from that one episode of Community when they put on an anti-drug play. I don't think the old people at the beach were ready.
- I proctored the SAT. As far as I know, no one cheated. Good to be back doing what I love: test administration.
- I attended the Portland Business Journal's 100 Fastest Growing Private Companies event, themed "Paris Nights." It was at the Hilton and I wanted to dress up like Paris Hilton but couldn't get my hands on a pink velour tracksuit quick enough. We placed #60 which is very cool for a retail store.
- I watched the first episode of the new Stranger Things season. Pretty intense!
- I did an improv show that wasn't at the beach and it went much better. Crowd was much less stoic.
- I went to my first Renaissance Faire with my coworkers. It was very muddy and everyone said, "Huzzah!" I did four arrows-worth of archery.
- I attended comedy prom and did not win Prom Queen or Prom King. Many people said I looked like someone running for political office. Maybe if there had been a Prom President or Prom Mayor election, I would have one. And I definitely would have been interested in some political mudslinging.
- I hosted a party in Eugene for work. I invited all my local media partners to come to the store early Tuesday morning. Some said it was the "most successful" version of a media day event we have done so far. I had to wake up at 4:30am that morning so I have no recollection of the day or its successes.
- I found out some bad news about an improv friend's health and was in a real funk.
- I saw a stage adaptation of Weekend at Bernie's. Having never seen the movie, I am now more intrigued than ever.
- Beyoncé announced her new album!
- A TV show that I did some background/extra work in just announced that it will premiere in the near future!
- I saw a friend's performance called All Bets are Off, which was an interactive way to tell her story about gambling addiction. It was compelling!
- I received no new bug bites.
- I cleaned out and reorganized all my financial papers.
- I celebrated Father's Day with my father. I got to visit my grandparent's and also had a celebratory brisket barbecue at my sister's house. I wanted to bring two watermelons for nine people but my mom said to only bring one and she was right.
Life has been a real whirlwind! And I head out tomorrow to go to my first ever ComedySportz World Championships in Seattle. I do improv with CSz Portland and will finally get to meet and play against people from the other 20+ ComedySportz clubs across the country and England. Even better? I will be representing Portland in one of the Saturday night matches!
I am so excited and have been looking forward to this event for a few years now. I was supposed to attend the 2020 event in Houston but I think we all know how 2020 and 2021 went.
If you need me, I will be rigorously studying everything there is to know about improv in between naps in my hotel room.