ELAN’s Annual General Meeting on August 30th will launch our new website and visual identity. Amy Macdonald has been working on this project for many months with Erika LeBlanc, who has been with ELAN since January thanks to the financial support of Emploi-Québec de l'Île-de-Montréal, and Karissa LaRocque, our summer student via Young Canada Works. Ben Compton, who has been working on Arts Alive! Québec 2016, contributed his graphic arts skills. The AGM is the best annual opportunity for members to get a sense of the full range of ELAN’s activities and meet our board of directors. The AGM is followed by our biggest schmoozer of the year.
August is festival season and the Arts Alive! Québec events in Huntingdon (August 6) and in Knowlton (August 26-28) are excellent opportunities to take a road trip to a beautiful town when you can enjoy pleasures for all the senses.
Every summer ELAN holds at least one Schmoozer outside of Montreal, and this year we will be in Hudson on Thursday August 4th. Our local partner, the Hudson Music Festival, is offering ELAN members free admission to the evening’s performances.
Summer is short. I hope to see you at some of these estival events.
[Table of Contents]
Lisez ce texte en français
HUDSON – QUÉBEC CITY – HUNTINGDON – KNOWLTON – WAKEFIELD – WEST ISLAND
2016 ELAN AGM
Lisez ce texte en français
Graphic by Ben Compton
Tuesday, August 30
MAI Café, 3680 Jeanne-Mance, Montreal
AGM: 6:30-8:00 PM
Please RSVP for the AGM: email@example.com
Calling all ELAN members, friends, artists, and arts lovers! Whether you’re a new or old ELAN member, or just curious about what we do and how we do it, our AGM is a great way to connect with us and Quebec's art community.
Meet our staff and board, help elect new board members, and learn about our past year and what's ahead. Plus, we’ll be launching our new tagline, logo, and website
After the AGM, make some creative connections (and have some complimentary snacks!) at the Schmoozer!
Over 600 ELAN members and friends
connected through our events and workshops in 2015-16.
At our AGM, we'll fill you in on:
- Arts Alive! Québec, which brought together over 5,000 artists and arts lovers across six communities. (funded by the Government of Canada)
- Videotron's agreement to produce 20% English-language content on its community television station MAtv.
- The National Film Board (NFB)'s $3-million, three-year cooperation and collaboration agreement to strengthen Quebec’s audiovisual sector and culture.
We're excited to announce news about our upcoming year—we have lots planned:
Professional, Student, and Organizational ELAN members in good standing as of August 10
can vote during the business portion of the AGM. Renew before August 10
to ensure that you can vote! Friend members and observers can't vote, but are welcome to attend.
Visit our website
to see the proposed agenda and documents for discussion.
Get in touch with us to check if your membership is active, or to sign up! Email Karissa at firstname.lastname@example.org
for all membership queries.
Schmoozer + Minute Market
8:00 PM onwards
FREE and open to all!
Complimentary (and delicious) snacks by Santropol
Meet fellow artists, arts lovers, and creative types of all stripes at our Schmoozer.
The Minute Market
is a great opportunity for ELAN members to promote their current projects - and for the audience to win books, tickets, music, and other prizes! The first ten ELAN members to contact email@example.com will be given a one-minute spot to market their latest work
We've been working hard since January on a big update to ELAN's look and online presence!
From a new tagline
to a new logo
to a brand new website
, we can't wait to show you our fresh look. With the help of COCo's Commun-IT Program
, our new website interface will not only look great, but also be easier to navigate, so you can find what you need ASAP.
Head to our AGM on August 30th
for a special sneak peek of our new platform. Don't miss out!
ELAN presents: ARTS ALIVE!
For the second year, ELAN is helping to empower 6 English-speaking regions to build their own mini-festivals celebrating vibrant arts communities in Québec. Between July and September 2016, Hudson, Québec City, Montreal's West Island, Knowlton, Huntingdon, and Wakefield will host 1-3 day celebrations of Québec arts and culture.
After a successful opening weekend in Hudson and a great Canada-day weekend in Quebec City, we're looking forward to the rest of the summer's events! Check out what's coming up:
- August 6th, Huntingdon: A day of creative workshops for all ages at the Grove Hall Arts Fair with musical performances running into the evening.
- August 26th-28th, Knowlton: Community social at the Star Café, a Louise Penny book launch, music from The Young Novelists, a reading of “God of Carnage” at Theatre Lac Brome and lots more!
- September 9th-11th, Wakefield: Theatre Wakefield presents Ta Da! Arts Alive! Québec, taking place at the www.CentreWakefieldLaPeche.ca. Featuring local and visiting artists such as Entrelacs, LAVINIA, The Paperback Queen, Love With Leila, The Auden Test, How Often Do I Dream ..., and much more! Full details at http://www.tadafestival.ca.
To find out more about Arts Alive! Québec, visit http://arts-alive-quebec.ca/
August 4th, 5:00PM
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hudson Music Festival
has invited ELAN members and friends to visit Hudson on Thursday August 4th for a Schmoozer
, which will begin at 5:00PM in the beautiful setting of the Auberge Willow sur la lac. ELAN members receive free admission to evening performances
by showing an ELAN membership card. The opening group, at 6:00PM, will be The HMF Root System Heptet
, a collective of Hudson musicians interested in presenting classic and contemporary jazz. Georges Doxas’ LE BIG BAND
, with special guest vocalist Megan Griffin, will perform at 8:00PM.
[Table of Contents]
Cultural Policy Updates: Call for Input
Lisez ce texte en français
Part of ELAN’s mandate is to support English-speaking artists as an official language minority in Quebec. The federal government
is undertaking a major review of its official languages policy
. ELAN will be involved in consultations over the coming months, but individual citizens can fill out an online survey here
. If you are looking for some different beach reading, click here
for an overview of Canada's commitment to promote official languages and enhance the vitality of official-language minority communities.
In addition, Quebec's Ministère de la Culture et des Communications
is updating its cultural policy
for the first time since 1992. A lot has changed in 24 years. The digital age has introduced major challenges and opportunities for artists and consumers alike. And Quebec itself has undergone demographic and societal changes that have highlighted important questions of cultural expression, diversity, and inclusion. ELAN wants to make sure the voices of the English-language arts community are heard and included in the policy consultation process, to ensure the new policy fixes what's outdated and keeps what's working. We encourage you to fill out the Ministère's online survey here (FR)
and send your thoughts to email@example.com before August 5!
- Canadian Art is hiring two candidates for the Editorial Internship Program: one print editorial intern, and one online editorial intern. Deadline SEPTEMBER 2.
General/Multidisciplinary (Calls for Submissions)
- Call for Nominations for the Charles Biddle Award. The award highlights the exceptional contribution of an individual who immigrated to Quebec and whose personal or professional engagement is contributing to Quebec's cultural and artistic development on the national or international scene. Deadline SEPTEMBER 7.
- The 20th Edition of the Journées de la culture is welcoming activity submissions. The event series will occur on SEPT 30-OCT 2.
Visual Arts (Calls for Submissions)
- The Women's Art Society of Montreal is inviting you to become a member! Details here.
- Centaur Theatre's Seagram Gallery is currently accepting submissions from Montreal-based visual artists for their upcoming Swept Away season! Deadline AUGUST 1.
- POPOP Gallery is a rental space managed by, for and with the contemporary art community. Located in the Belgo Building, the space offers great visibility. Accepting project or exhibition proposals at all times.
- Applications open for an Artist Residency program in South America through the Goethe Institute! Deadline for application OCTOBER 14.
Writing (Calls for Submissions)
Theatre (Calls for Submissions)
- The West Island Theatre Association (WISTA) call for submissions for their upcoming production: Shrek the musical! They are currently seeking: PRODUCER(S), DIRECTOR, MUSICAL DIRECTOR, CHOREOGRAPHER, STAGE MANAGER, TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, SET & PROPS DESIGNER(S), COSTUME DESIGNER & COORDINATORS, MAKEUP & HAIR DESIGNER, LIGHTING DESIGNER, SOUND DESIGNER. Contact WISTA by sending your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 10, 2016 (Deadline for producer applications is August 10, 2016).
- The Write-On Q! Script Writing Competition is calling for plays by Quebec playwrights. Deadline: SEPTEMBER 6.
- Canadian Writing, Wine and Other Potent Potables is calling for fiction (flash fiction, short stories, excerpts of novels or novellas) nonfiction (memoir, travel essays, personal essays), creative nonfiction, poetry, and critical essays on Canadian writing that speaks to the function of drink, be it physical or figurative, in a Canadian setting or from a Canadian-centered perspective. DEADLINE: October 31.
- YES Montreal is holding a free Jump-Start Your Art & Financing Options workshop, to outline the support services available to artists. AUGUST 22.
- YES Montreal’s Artists’ Coach is hosting and moderating an information group coaching for artists session. AUGUST 11 & 25.
Member & Community Events
Visual Arts (Events)
Infinitheatre Montréal's The Unit is comprised of a group of seven wildly talented playwrights, and reflects The English-Language communities and diversity of Québec on stages across the province. Readings are FREE and will take place SEPTEMBER 11-17.
As part of a new series on art and experimentation, the Cinémathèque Québécoise presents the film Phone Whore (Téléphone rose) in English with French subtitles on AUGUST 12. A world premiere. Phone Whore is a the first full length docudrama of renowned animation filmmaker Farzin Farzaneh. It is based on the award-winning, autobiographical stage play of the same name by performer, sex educator and phone sex operator, Cameryn Moore who plays herself in the film. Cinémathèque Québécoise, 355 boul de Maisonneuve est, Montréal
- The Lawn Chair Soiree at Chez Boris. An evening of readings with invited guests Brian Campbell, Vincenzo Di Nicola, Jocelyne Dubois, & Dale Matthews at Chez Boris cafe. AUGUST 18, 7:15.
Welcome new members, and welcome back renewing members!
Artistes Hudson Artists
(Film & Television, Interdisciplinary, Theatre, Writing)
Hudson & Region Studio Tour Des Ateliers
(Fine Craft, Multidisciplinary, Visual Arts)
(Interdisciplinary, Visual Arts)
(Film & Television, Fine Craft, Visual Arts)
Quebec Writers' Federation
(Film and Television, Writing)
You've made it this far - you deserve a treat!
Here are some videos that we enjoyed this month:
Montreal composer, and former ELAN board member, Tim Brady has released the video
for “100 questions, 100 réponses,” a piece for 100 spatialized electric guitars performed at Le Gesù.
Check out Montreal-based Little Scream's video
for "Dark Dance," featuring dancers Tavia Christina and Zenon Zubyk.
[Table of Contents]
ELANews is a platform for our members to promote their events, news, and work. As such, ELANews content does not necessarily reflect the views of ELAN, its overall membership, or its board. However, we will never intentionally include hateful or discriminatory content in ELANews. Please feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any concerns about the contents of ELANews.
Other mailing lists that you may want to join: