LIFT and imagineNATIVE 13th annual Mentorship Program: Call for Applicants
Application Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2017 by 12:00pm
Do you have a great idea for a 5-minute short film? Celebrating 13 years of supporting independent Indigenous film, the LIFT/imagineNATIVE Mentorship program welcomes you to explore 16mm filmmaking through the Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto’s (LIFT) workshops, equipment and facilities (other mediums may be employed in addition to 16mm). Shoot and edit your ideas on film, and see them on screen at the 18th imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival, which will take place in Toronto from October 17–22, 2017!
You will be provided with a LIFT Production Membership until the end of the imagineNATIVE 2017 Festival, and be eligible to enroll in any training workshop offered during their Winter and Summer 2017 calendar (to a maximum $750 value). You will have the opportunity to work with LIFT’s knowledgeable staff and a specially selected mentor(s) to help you through your various development, production and post-production stages. imagineNATIVE will subsidize some additional costs related to your project, and facilitate aspects of your post-production stages.
Please note: Projects must be realistic in scope and subject matter as they must be completed and transferred as digital exhibition master by Friday, September 15, 2017.
The participant will receive the opportunity to use LIFT’s extensive 16mm production equipment and facilities for their film. As every film is unique, equipment and facilities access will be established in the development phase (past equipment and facilities budgets have ranged from $500–$5,000). Any additional equipment, facilities, and production costs will be the responsibility of the participant.
imagineNATIVE will provide a $1,000 bursary towards production costs. Assistance with other production support will also be provided, pending confirmation (in-kind, approximately a $750 value). All other associated costs are to be covered by the participant. The artist will also receive an artist fee for their screening during the imagineNATIVE 2017 Festival.
• This call is open to Indigenous (First Nation, Métis, Inuit, other international Indigenous) candidates living in or near the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) only
• Preference will be given to artists who have not had the opportunity to work in film
(Note: you do not have to be a youth, but youth may also apply)
• Candidates must commit to attending the LIFT training workshops from March–August 2017. We strongly encourage applicants who are deadline driven and self-starters.
• You must live in Toronto or within commuting distance from the city in order to access LIFT workshops and equipment. Travel subsidy and cost of living are not covered by this mentorship.
Your Application Must Include:
• One-page short film idea
• A half to one-page statement on why you would like to participate and how you would benefit from this mentorship
• A production schedule summary to meet the required final deliverables deadline.
Note: Print quality film stills and final synopsis will be required by Monday, July 31, 2017.
• Your biography (no resumes or curriculum vitaes please). Please be certain to indicate your past experience with film, video/digital and other artistic mediums, if any, and your Indigenous affiliation
• How you find out about the mentorship program
• Contact info, including email, mailing address and phone number
• Email documents to LIFT@imagineNATIVE.org
Should you have additional questions, please contact imagineNATIVE Industry Director Daniel Northway-Frank at 416.585.2333 or dnf@imagineNATIVE.org
The deadline for submissions is Friday, February 24, 2017 by 12:00pm
Follow this program on social media: #LIFTiNMentorship