Community Information Now (CI:Now) is hiring a new full-time Research Assistant III to join a small team of passionate, innovative, community-minded data and community engagement geeks. Combining the best of both the nonprofit and academic worlds, CI:Now is housed at the UT Health Science Center at Houston School of Public Health in San Antonio. (Staff are working remotely during the pandemic.)
CI:Now is a source of local data and information for community improvement: we collect, analyze, visualize, and communicate data and information that planners, service providers, advocates, and residents use to transform neighborhoods and solve community problems. CI:Now works closely with many strong local organizations and place-based initiatives that both need and generate data related to education, health, employment, housing, crime and safety, the natural environment, and civic vitality.
We are the San Antonio partner in the National Neighborhood Indicators Partnership (NNIP), a network of local data intermediaries in more than 30 U.S. cities. Coordinated by the Urban Institute, NNIP connects independent partner organizations that share a mission to ensure all communities have access to data and the skills to use information to advance equity and well-being across neighborhoods.
We’re making our world better. Join us!
Visit https://uth.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/research-assistant-iii-school-of-public-health-san-antonio-7801 to apply. The position is open until filled.
This position gathers community data, helps execute analyses, develops narrative content to describe analysis results, and helps maintain and update online data tools. CI:Now’s portfolio varies depending on current local need, but can include community report cards; program- and community-level outcome measurement; program evaluation; management, analysis, and visualization of large administrative and survey datasets; integrating administrative data; and community needs and assets assessments
- Gather needed quantitative data, including both publicly-available data and private data available only by request
- Process data and conduct basic analyses, working closely with team members and with guidance from senior staff
- Draft narrative content for reports and infographics to describe important or unexpected patterns, relationships, and trends in the data. Drafts content for website and newsletter
- Participate in establishing and sustaining internal project management infrastructure and processes to ensure the continuous delivery of high-quality data and other products. Develop and maintain good documentation of data acquired, data source contacts, analyses conducted, and online tool updates performed
- Other duties as assigned to democratize data and support community partners in data-informed decision making
CI:Now is looking for someone who:
- Shows strong written and oral communications skills, including demonstrated skills in accurately communicating data and technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Has solid knowledge of MS Office (particularly Excel) and internet and literature searches
- Has a Bachelor’s degree (or higher) and experience in a relevant field data science, applied research, public health, urban planning, statistics, epidemiology, or a related field
- Preferably has experience with one or more of the following: Tableau, Adobe InDesign or similar software, and/or statistical software like R or SAS
The ideal candidate would be highly detail-oriented, work well both collaboratively and independently, and be good at finding and telling the story in the data. He/she would have a high tolerance for constant change, a knack for getting clarity out of ambiguity, and a passion for using data to strengthen equity and help others improve community conditions. A sense of humor is always welcome!
The position is housed with CI:Now at the School of Public Health in San Antonio and offers excellent benefits. Salary will be commensurate with education, experience, and skills within a range of about $37,000 to $55,000.
To apply, please visit the UTHealth job posting. Please share this announcement with any interested parties.
For more information, please visit the UTHealth HR site at https://uth.referrals.selectminds.com/ or call 713-500-3130.
UTHealth is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment-related activities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law or university policy. Reasonable accommodation, based on disability or religious observances, will be considered in accordance with applicable law and UTHealth policy. The University maintains affirmative action programs with respect to women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and eligible veterans in accordance with applicable law.