Newmarket opts-out of private retail cannabis stores
Newmarket, Ontario, January 21, 2019 – At its Special Council meeting on January 15, Newmarket Council voted to opt-out of private cannabis retail stores in Town.
“The Town of Newmarket will be taking a measured approach to this topic, and will review and revisit Council’s decision in a year’s time,” says Mayor John Taylor. “By then, we hope more information will be available and we are able to learn from the experiences of the municipalities that have opted-in.”
At its meeting, Newmarket Council expressed that municipalities require local control of how many stores are permitted and greater planning authority should be given, over the location of private cannabis retail stores.
This decision directed staff to continue to review information regarding cannabis retail stores as it becomes available, and to monitor the experiences of other municipalities that have opted-in. Staff are to report to Council in one year’s time to provide further information. Staff were also directed to prepare amendments or new by-laws as required and return with recommendations as to how the smoking and vaping of cannabis should be regulated in Newmarket.
Members of the public had many opportunities to get involved and give feedback on the topic. The Town consulted with the public through an extensive public engagement plan and feedback was received in the following ways:
For information on the Town’s decision on private cannabis retail stores in Newmarket and additional information on the matter, visit newmarket.ca/cannabis or call the Town at 905-895-5193.
- An online survey, which had 2,524 submissions from Newmarket residents and business owners
- A phone survey that had 320 interviews from randomly selected Newmarket phone numbers
- A well-attended Public Information Centre that was advertised through several of the Town’s communications tools and channels
- Written comments which were provided directly to the Town
- Deputations provided by the public on the matter at the January 7 Special Committee of the Whole meeting and at the January 15 Special Council meeting
- 30 -
Corporate Communications, Town of Newmarket
Phone: 905-953-5300 ext. 2040