September 9, 2021
SAVE THE DATE – Pastors Gathering November 8-10
Plan now to join us for this time of retreat and fellowship! We encourage all pastors to join in first event from your homes, whether or not you join the in-person event at Amigo Centre. On Monday November 8, 11:30-12:30pm, WellSpan will host a webinar: Compassion Fatigue and Self-Care. We will gather in-person at Amigo Centre from Monday evening to Wednesday early afternoon. We will continue to monitor the COVID requirements and plan accordingly, including registration for private rooms. Watch for more details to come soon!
A Word from MLT
The Missional Leadership Team (MLT) had a retreat at Amigo Centre August 20 and 21. One of the highlights was spending time with Sharon and Joanne, our new conference co-ministers. We listened to their hopes for the coming year and how they are working out team responsibilities. We heard with gratitude their news about hiring Clayton Gladish as administrative coordinator. A priority for MLT this year is to support the two of them as they finalize job descriptions and grow into this work as a team.
We spent time reviewing your Table Wisdom feedback from Annual Sessions and considered listed possible modifications to our Intercultural Witness goals document. We decided to utilize the IDI (Intercultural Development Inventory) assessments in phases: all MLT and staff members this year and conference leadership teams in the coming year. Taking the lead from a sister conference we asked Joanne to be trained as an IDI administrator so we can do the assessments internally. We took initial steps toward establishing an intercultural working group.
We set MLT goals for the year. In addition to the goals of onboarding new staff and continuing the intercultural work, we prioritized: continued learning about what will need to change in order to increase the diversity of our leadership, listening to the needs and hopes of congregations that are feeling marginalized in the conference, and working with staff to update job descriptions for all conference positions.
- Clayton Gladish began his role as administrative coordinator on August 24. Clayton recently moved from Kansas and lives in Goshen.
- Joanne Gallardo and Sharon Yoder are finding clarity about how to share conference minister responsibilities. Joanne is relating with the Gifts Development Team and Leadership Enhancement Team; Sharon is relating with the Ministry Credentialing Team and the Stewardship Team.
- the work of our conference leadership teams. Our All Teams retreat September 17 and 18 will be held virtually, with Rick Stiffney leading us in reviewing two vision documents on Friday evening and Joanne leading us in conversation about white supremacy culture on Saturday morning.
- the upcoming Journey Weekend Learning Event, September 10-12. Joanne will be connecting with Journey participants for the first time and leading a workshop on personality inventories.
- Sharon will meet with transitional and interim pastors on September 14.
- Joanne met with the Goshen area pastors on September 2nd.
- Sharon joined The Sent Network informational meeting via zoom, hosted by Mennonite Mission Network on August 31. Sent offers customized equipping for church planters through experiential learning and peer coaching.
- Sharon and Joanne are available to meet and/or consult with pastors and congregational leaders. Feel free to give us a call. We look forward to connecting with you.
Credentialing and Leadership Development
- Deron Bergstresser will be installed as Pastor of Senior Ministries at Waterford on September 19. Sharon Yoder and congregational coach Marty Lehman will officiate. Deron will serve ½ time at Waterford and continues his ½ time role as co-pastor at Faith Mennonite in Goshen.
- Craig Oury will be installed as a pastoral team member at Shalom on September 26; Sharon will join them for this installation service.
- Healthy Boundaries Seminars are required for credentialed leaders in active ministry in IMMC conference. We will not offer this training as part of Pastors Gathering this year. Please check the Mennonite Church USA website to register for your training: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/ministry/church-vitality/healthy-boundaries-training/.
Prairie Street Celebrating 150 Years in South Central Elkhart
Prairie Street Mennonite Church is celebrating 150 years of ministry since its founding in 1871. You are warmly invited to celebrate with us on Saturday, September 18 from 2 – 10:00 p.m. in our parking lot at 1316 Prairie Street, Elkhart. We will celebrate alongside our Latino neighbors as they remember their home countries’ independence and cultural celebrations. Food and products will be for sale, as well as music and children’s activities. ¡Nos vemos allí!
La Iglesia Menonita de Prairie Street está celebrando 150 años de ministerio desde su fundación en 1871. Está cordialmente invitado a celebrar con nosotros el sábado 18 de septiembre desde las 2 a 10:00 p.m. en nuestro estacionamiento en 1316 Prairie Street, Elkhart. Celebraremos juntos con nuestros vecinos latinos mientras recuerdan la independencia y las celebraciones culturales de sus países de origen. Se pondrán a la venta alimentos y productos, así como música y actividades infantiles. ¡Nos vemos allí!
For the month of August contributions were $4,128 below expectations and $4,086 below expenses. For the year to date they are $3,052 below expectations but $3,844 above expenses. Some of our expenses in August should have been applied in July but were not known until August. Thank you for your contributions.
Jim Norton, Bookkeeper
Update from Amigo Centre
- Amigo Centre is looking for their next Executive Director. Qualified applicants will have a passion for transformative faith experiences, demonstrate leadership gifts and love working with people. Amigo Centre is a Mennonite camp and retreat center located in Sturgis MI, about 50 minutes from Goshen IN. Letters of interest and resumes can be sent to email@example.com. A job description can be found at amigocentre.org/employment.
- We continue to celebrate 50 years of Outdoor Environmental Education at Amigo. Check our website for additional details for ways you can come celebrate with us this summer!
- Scrapbooking, Crafting and Sewing Retreats, scheduled for September 24-27 and December 2-8, 2021, are still on, but we have limited the capacity until closer to the date to know what the impact of the pandemic restrictions are. In addition, as we have cancellations of large groups, we can hold smaller crops at additional times. Watch for more information on our Facebook page, web site, or by email if you are signed up to receive notifications. Thank you for your patience! Contact Mandy@amigocentre.org if you have questions.
- Amigo Bike Michiana scheduled for October 8-10, 2021. Our speaker will be Dr. Sibonokuhle Ncube, founding Executive Director/National Coordinator of the Brethren in Christ Compassionate and Development Services in Zimbabwe, currently studying at AMBS. In fall of 2018, Dr. Ncube was part of a Global South Voice Speaking Tour of the Great Lakes region, co-sponsored by MCC and the Center for Sustainable Climate Solutions. Here’s a story about our project: https://mcc.org/stories/addressing-conflict-caused-limited-resource Visit our web site for registration and additional information.
- Save the Date: Amigo Women and Girls Retreat is scheduled for March 18-20, 2021. Speaker is Leandrea Lange from New Foundation United in Christ Fellowship, Elkhart, Indiana. Additional information will be coming soon.
- Transitional ministry has a unique place in the mission of the church. While “interim pastors” have provided preaching and pastoral care for many years, “transitional ministry” involves training to lead congregations through a process of preparation for entering a new chapter of leadership. Scheduled for October 18-20, 2021, this training will be fully online. Visit http://tmt.amigocentre.org/ for additional information, or contact Amigo Centre at 269.651.2811. Deadline: Sept. 17, 2021.
- Storm damage update: due to a powerful storm that swept through our area on August 12, we have sustained damage to 17 buildings and our trails are currently not safe. We are working to open up a trail for guests as soon as possible. Meanwhile our main facilities – Retreat Center, West Shore Lodge, Activity Center and Dining Hall were unharmed and still very usable. Going forward we will appreciate volunteers to help with the continued clean up that will be necessary over the coming months. If you or your group would like to assist, please contact Amigo Center – at 269-651-2811 or email Cheryl@amigocentre.org. Cheryl Mast is coordinating our volunteers cleanup effort through this challenging time. Thank you for your continued support through this time of Covid and our current storm damage cleanup. For our most updated Covid Regulations, please check online on our homepage at amigocentre.org. Thank you!
Open Positions within Mennonite Church USA Executive Board Staff
- Mennonite Church USA is seeking a full-time Marketing Communications & Engagement Associateto assist in all levels of project execution, including research, coordination of online and in-person events, handling constituent inquiries, writing, production, newsletter/collateral distribution and analytics/reporting. This position provides an ideal opportunity to develop well-rounded skills and hands-on experience in marketing communication. The ideal candidate will be a team player, creative, highly organized, a strong communicator, committed to Jesus Christ and passionate about God’s reconciling mission to the world. We are committed to diversity among staff and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and abilities to apply. View the job description here. To request an application form, contact HR@MennoniteUSA.org or call 316-281-4257
- Mennonite Church USA is seeking a full-time Multimedia News Editorto work collaboratively with our marketing communications team to develop, drive and execute communication strategies on a variety of platforms. The Multimedia News Editor will generate, curate and edit media releases, feature articles, newsletters, video scripts, brochures and online content that report on and promote the work and ministry of Mennonite Church USA Executive Board and staff. The ideal candidate will be passionate about God’s reconciling mission to the world and committed to Jesus Christ. We are committed to diversity among staff and welcome people of diverse backgrounds and abilities to apply. View the job description here. To request an application form, contact HR@MennoniteUSA.org or call 316-281-4257.